What are you Cooking the Week of July 7, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 7, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I made a cheese burger, hash browns and broccoli and carrot.

BakerAunt
      Participant

For dinner on Tuesday, I made black-eyed peas with mixed brown and wild rice and ham from the freezer. I added sautéed celery, orange bell pepper, and a bit of kale, as well as dried onion, thyme, and pepper. We have enough for at least two more meals.

skeptic7
        Participant

I made salmon patties with canned salmon from a Laura Brody recipe. These were supposed to be baked to cut down on fat, but I fried mine instead as I didn't want to use a whole oven. I ate two for lunch, and will be warming up the others for sandwiches during the week.
          I also baked a spinach pizza and will be eating this too over the course of a week. Makes a very good lukewarm supper. This is heated gently in a cast iron frying pan with lid, which doesn't heat the kitchen a lot.
          The farmer's market had nice cherries and tomatoes. Beautiful color, tasty and doesn't require cooking. Has anyone eaten a "sugar cube" cantelope? It looked so cute I had to buy it. Also it doesn't need to be cooked.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made yogurt on Wednesday. It is a day early, but I will not have time to do it tomorrow, so I am getting ahead.

Ah, Skeptic--your farmers market is ahead of ours up here in northern Indiana where there is not a lot of produce yet.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I had a repeat of breakfast for supper and the rolls were better today .
              Chocomouse I did like the onion in the rolls.
              Cwcdesign enjoy your trip to Atlanta and be safe!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Joan--a lot of rye breads are better the day after they bake.

We had a repeat dinner also, only ours was the black-eyed peas with rice and ham. It might not have been a repeat if I had remembered to thaw something....

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

There are some recipes in the Ginsberg rye book that have you tightly wrap the bread for 48 hours before cutting into it.

I had a tomato-salami sandwich again, Diane had some chicken noodle soup as she's still got a sore mouth from the extraction last week.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I had a tomato sandwich, on Super 10 bread with Hellman's, salt, pepper -- the best!

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Mike, one of my friends at work mentioned today that when the heat gets really bad, the cows don't produce as much milk and the hens don't lay as many eggs, so the prices go up. I don't know how quickly that affects the supply chain.

Thank you, Joan

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Looking at the midwest region egg price reports for the last several months (issued 2-3 times a week), prices at the wholesale level have been pretty steady, mostly in the 2.26 to 2.36 range per dozen for at least 2 months.

It could be local supply issues, Aldi tend to sign contracts with local suppliers for several months at a time and maybe they just got renewed at higher prices. And if $2.26 is the wholesale average price, then stores like Aldi and WalMart may have been selling eggs near if not below their cost for the past few months. 4-5 years ago WalMart had eggs down to under 40 cents/dozen, well below the wholesale price, but that was almost certainly a marketing strategy.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

My husband and I picked 16 pounds of blueberries on Thursday morning at our favorite blueberry farm. I am in the process of washing them and leaving them to dry on paper towel-lined sheet pans. I will freeze many of them in quart bags tomorrow after they dry. For dinner, as we still have cooler weather, I roasted two bone-in chicken breasts, which we had with roasted potato chunks and small carrots tossed in olive oil.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I had a hotdog with sauerkraut and potato salad.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had reubens on the keto-friendly rye bread I made the other day.

chocomouse
                              Participant

BakerAunt, great that you picked so many berries! The berries on my 10 bushes are just now getting ripe enough to pick, so I got one quart the day before yesterday. After last year's late frost killed most of the buds, I'm really looking forward to a good crop this summer. I go to a pick-your-own farm in Maine in the fall when the berries are on sale. At that time, their 11 pound boxes, which are $65 each, are buy 2 get 1 free.

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had lahvosh pizza for supper tonight (half tonight, half for another night) and I had a small salad to go with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.