What are you Baking the Week of September 17, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 17, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No specific baking plans here yet. I was thinking of making a hybrid sourdough/commercial yeast version of semolina bread, but Diane wasn't thrilled at the idea, so maybe not.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made bread this morning! For the first time in months and I used my Emile Henry long baker which we finally pulled down from the attic.

I made the semolina rye bread from King Arthur, doubled it (except for the yeast which I left at 2 teaspoons and the salt which I used 2 teaspoons instead of the tablespoon it would have doubled to). I left out the onions and the vital wheat gluten I mixed it in the bread machine.

All went well. When it was ½ inch over the rim, I decided to bake it so I wouldn't overproof it and I even did some sort of slashes. When I took the lid off after ½ hour, it had risen beautifully. I took it out after 10 minutes - 5 was too short and I probably could have taken it out at 8 minutes. But then, trouble struck - the directions said to flip it out of the pan to cool and the bread stuck. First thing I realized that the directions to lightly grease didn't mean too lightly - I should have oiled it better. As I struggled to get it out, I broke it - the bottom stayed in the pan. I went off to run an errand and after the pan cooled Will popped the bottom out of the pan. Second lesson learned - leave it in pan for 10 minutes to cool, as I often do.

Good news is that it is really good and I will make it again - Next time I might try it with my sprouted wheat flour from the freezer - it has the same protein as the rye flour.

BakerAunt
        Participant

CWCdesign--I always grease the Emile Henry bakers with Crisco, then sprinkle it with farina (Cream of Wheat). While it can be messy when turning it out--which is why I do so over a towel--there is never any problem with sticking, and it comes out easily.

For Sunday breakfast, I made Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles (my husband's request). We had them with a bit of maple syrup and the blueberry compote that is leftover from when I bake blueberry pie. I froze the six leftover waffles, which will make fast breakfasts on three mornings for me.

In the afternoon, I baked White Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts, which I adapted from a King Arthur recipe. I cut back the sugar by another ¼ cup (used 3/4 where original recipe uses 1 1/4 cup), and they are sweet enough and of just the right texture. Nothing beats using homemade applesauce! I sprinkled six of the doughnuts with Penzey's Cinnamon Sugar. I set the other six aside and will make a maple glaze for them tomorrow. I was inspired to bake these today because I came across a 1-cup container of unsweetened applesauce that I froze in November 2021 for this recipe.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I needed to use up three overripe bananas, so I baked a new recipe for Banana Oat Muffin, from All Recipes, s on Monday morning. I had been searching for a banana and oats muffin recipe, and I had saved the recipe from a magazine. I altered the recipe by using white whole wheat flour and adding 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. I reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup and the salt to ¼ tsp. I deleted the vanilla. The kind of oats was not specified. I used quick oats. I also changed the mixing instructions. I put the dry ingredients, except for the oats in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, I mashed the bananas, mixed in the milk, then stirred in the oats. I mixed in the egg, then the oil, before adding the dry ingredients. I baked in Crisco greased, large muffin cups for 20 minutes. The flavor is excellent, so this recipe is a keeper. The muffins are plenty sweet. Possibly the sugar could be reduced a bit more.

In the afternoon, I baked another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I made last week.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made a blueberry galette, using some of the 16 pounds of berries I picked in Maine last weekend. I had a terrible crop from my own bushes this summer, due to the heavy freeze of 24* we got on May 17. I usually pick about 50 quarts, but got only about 10 cups. So my sister and I went to a U Pick farm and had a blast. They deliver you in a golf cart to whatever variety you want to pick - acres and acres of beautiful, huge clusters of berries. They also had a live band, lots of food, and happy, knowledgeable employees. Luckily, Hurricane (turned into a plain storm) Lee had tamed down; we got very little rain, just lots of wind, with gusts around 50 mph. A friend in a camper near us had a tree fall on his car and smash the windshield, but no one was hurt.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm glad that you got blueberries, Chocomouse. I shudder to think what a summer without them would be.

On Tuesday, I made frosting for the other half of the Applesauce Doughnuts that I left plain. I used 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbs. melted butter, 2 tsp. 1% milk, and 1/4 tsp. vanilla. That made a soft frosting that I could easily spread around each one. I then sprinkled them with some orange and yellow tiny nonpareils for a festive autumn dessert. Yes, I know that autumn does not start until 23 September, but we have had cool, overcast weather for the past few days, and the days are getting shorter.

Italiancook
                Participant

After BakerAunt posted about Banana Oat Muffins, I searched for the recipe on allrecipes.com. In the process, I found a headline for "25 Ways to Bake with Olive Oil Instead of Butter." https://www.allrecipes.com/gallery/baking-with-olive-oil-recipes/

I baked their Olive Oil Bread yesterday afternoon. It took 2 hr. 10 min. Prepping the bread took 28 minutes. The remainder of the time was rising and baking for 40 minutes.

The finished product was slightly larger than a steakhouse boule served at the table. We ate half of it for penne with Rao's red sauce. The bread is delicious. I'm keeping the recipe for an "emergency" when I want bread with minimal effort at the last minute. I don't like foccacia with pasta, so this bread will work for me as a substitute for baking fresh foccacia, which also only takes a couple of hours.

BakerAunt, in this collection of recipes is one for Olive Oil Sugar Cookies.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I did a batch of burger/sandwich buns this afternoon. I'm thinking about oatmeal cookies but not sure if I will get around to it.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I decided to make Chewy Fruit and Oatmeal Bars. It's a recipe that I saw many years ago on the box of Quaker Oats. It's no longer on the box but they have it on their website. I modified it a little, I subbed all the sugar (3/4 cup brown sugar and a 1/2 cup granulated sugar) with 1/2 cup of maple syrup. Instead of using a baking pan and then cutting it into bars, I portioned it out into cup cake liners. I had to guess at the baking time, probably overbaked them a little but they turned out good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I realized at lunch on Saturday that we would be needing bread for tomorrow. I wanted to bake a large single loaf because right now the freezers are full. I remembered the Chewy Semolina Rye Bread because CWCdesign baked it earlier this week. I made a few more tweaks. This time, I used 1 ½ cups of buttermilk and ¾ cup of water. I added 2 Tbs. special dry milk. Instead of the medium rye flour, I used pumpernickel. I used 2 Tbs. First Clear Flour in place of the vital wheat gluten. I reduced the yeast to 3 ½ tsp. and the salt to 2 ¼ tsp. I did not add the dried onion. As I was kneading it in the mixer, it seemed a bit dry, so I added 1 Tbs. of water. I did not do the topping, as my husband would dislike it. The loaf is lovely, and I look forward to slicing it tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I knew that the Chewy Semolina Rye Bread is good, and I like the changes I made, but the best change was using pumpernickel in place of the medium rye. Delicious!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.