What are you Baking the Week of October 10, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 10, 2021?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Still haven't gotten to the apples but that should start happening this afternoon, since the Bears game isn't on TV anyway. I'm doing a cleanup and reorganization of the baking area of the kitchen first, including cleaning beside and under the stove, which is a lot of work.

I'm hoping to get a couple of apple strudels made today, one for eating now, one for freezing.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I'm working on a batch of rye/semolina/wheat buns.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Chocolate was on my mind, so on Sunday, I baked my adaptation of Olive Oil Greek Yogurt Brownies from The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Beginners. My adaptations consist of substituting white whole wheat flour for AP, using dutched cocoa powder (this time a combination of regular and double dutch), 1 tsp. BRM milk powder, and 1 tsp. KABC espresso powder. I also put chocolate sprinkles on top before baking.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made garlic knots for my husband to take to a pot luck this week.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I made KAF’s No knead cheese burger buns for smashburgers tonight. For 1/3 of the AP I substituted in half WWW and sprouted wheat. I made the dough in the Zo. I made 8 buns instead of the usual 6. That was so we could have less dough in each but the same width. Because I had to bake them for less time (the thinness) they didn’t brown very much, but they still look good.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made sugar cookies and added lemon extract to take to my sister tomorrow.

skeptic7
                Participant

I did a new recipe for a friend's birthday. It had the advantage of being a relatively small cake which is good and used rye flour. It was chocolatey and the crumb topping gave it a dressier appearance without using frosting. We ate a couple of small pieces together and then I sent the rest off with him. I baked it in a square cast iron frying pan and I think the extra heat from the cast iron help cooked it evenly. It didn't have a gummy feel at all, but was denser than an all wheat cake. I used whole wheat flour where the recipe calls for all purpose flour.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rye-chocolate-coffeecake-recipe

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made dough on Tuesday for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

The cake sounds good, Skeptic. I have baked the rye cookies on the KABC site and like them.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I agree with BakerAunt,the cake sounds very good Skeptic.I checked out the recipe.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm finally getting to the apple strudel today, it probably won't be as pretty as the last one, so I don't plan to post pictures. I had issues stretching the dough as it kept tearing. I used King Arthur AP flour, I don't know if I should be using a stronger flour or a weaker one! (Some research on the Internet suggests I should have used a higher gluten flour and kneaded it longer.)

If I make two for the freezer, as I have been thinking of doing, I may try two different types of flour for the dough, to see which works better for me. I think I'll also increase the amount of dough relative to the amount of filling, I would like to get more layers around the filling. The Li'l Vienna recipe I'm using has you spread the filling over about half of the dough, I think it should be more like a third.

I used a dish towel under the dough at the end to help get it rolling, that worked reasonably well. (Last time I think I tried parchment, which didn't work as well.)

I cut the quantity of apples down from about 2 pounds before peeling and slicing to 1 1/2 pounds, last time I wound up with filling I couldn't get inside the strudel. (It was tasty nonetheless, though.) I got all the filling in this time, but it was still trying to fall out the sides.

Another strudel recipe online seems to use 3-4 times as much dough relative to the filling as the Li'l Vienna recipe does, so I'm definitely making more dough next time, either doubling or tripling the dough recipe.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I baked Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls, on Friday, a recipe that I have been adapting from the King Arthur recipe site. I use 2 tsp. of the special gold yeast and proof it in 1 tsp. honey. I use equal parts whole wheat and AP flour. I usually add ¾ cup oats, but this time I added ¾ cup BRM 5-Grain blend that I am using up. I reduce the salt by 1/3 and add 2 Tbs. flax meal. I replaced ¼ cup butter with 3 Tbs. olive oil. I use 12 oz. pumpkin puree, and my own blend of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. I found that I needed to add an additional tablespoon of AP flour as the dough mixed in the bread machine. I used about 1/3 cup crystalized ginger in the cinnamon sugar filling. For the icing, I used 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbs. melted butter, 1 Tbs. 1% milk, and ½ tsp. vanilla. These are delicious! However, my husband has asked me to leave out the crystalized ginger next time. Sigh.

I baked the Italian Lemon Ricotta Cookies from the Olive Tomato blog on Saturday afternoon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.