What are you Baking the Week of November 27, 2022?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 27, 2022?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I have a lot of over-ripe bananas, must be time to make banana nut muffins.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I just sliced up the last of the semolina bread, time to make more tomorrow.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made two loaves of buttermilk oatmeal wheat bread this morning.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I have two loaves of semolina bread in the oven this evening.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Will baked 3 loaves of sourdough this morning. He heads to LA on Thursday for 10 days. I will be baking over the weekend for the garden club bake sale the following weekend - I will freeze my cakes

navlys
              Participant

I am thinking of making Biscochitos for our wine gathering. I saw a recipe in our paper and thought they sounded interesting. I couldn't read the reviews because I don't subscribe to the Sacramento Bee. Anyway I compared several recipes but none had only 1/2 tsp baking powder for 3 cups of sugar. (paper recipe). Am thinking less baking powder, more crispy?

chocomouse
                Participant

I made burger buns this morning.

navlys
                  Participant

Correction the Biscochitos recipe calls for 3 cups of FLOUR not sugar! OOPs!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Thursday, I baked for the first time this week. I wanted some Christmas spirit, so I baked the King Arthur Spiced Rye Ginger Cookies, with two changes. I cut the salt in half and added 1 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. To make them festive, I rolled them in an equal mixture of coarse red, green, and white sugar. The spice mixture does not agree with my husband, so I told him that I will bake another kind of cookie tomorrow.

By the way, Navlys: this recipe does not call for baking powder, just 1 tsp. baking soda. I suspect that you are correct about less baking powder for more crispiness.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made rhubarb muffins with chopped rhubarb from the garden that I froze early last summer.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Wednesday was my middle child, Henry's, birthday. Hen is quiet and didn't or wouldn't tell us anything he wanted. So for breakfast I made him pancakes topped with bacon and Choco family fantastic maple syrup topped with a fresh baked chocolate doughnut and whipped cream. Violet said "that's what I want for my birthday breakfast."

I made him Stella Park's coconut cake which he liked but liked less than my patched-together-piece-meal coconut cake recipe. I'll have dig through my notes and resurrect it.

No pictures as I am going between computers and don't have everything on a shared drive yet.

I did a lot of baking last week and we still have pie left! I also have baked pumpkin pie filling. I'm thinking of putting it in a jar and labeling it pumpkin pie butter and giving it to some friends. Might be could on crusty toast.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

If you have pie left, Aaron, then your older son did not stay long enough to help finish them off! ๐Ÿ™‚

On Friday, I baked my Lime-Pecan Biscotti, so that my husband will have a cookie that he can eat.

I also baked the Spiced Pumpkin Bread recipe from Stanley Ginsberg's Rye Baker blog. I used 500g of the Fairy Tale pumpkin that I froze last year. As I did last time, I used the bread machine to do the kneading and let it rise in a bread bucket. It is always sticky, but this time I added only one extra tablespoon of whole wheat flour. I probably could have gotten the shaping tighter, but it is a respectable loaf, although I had a bit of a blow out at one end. I am looking forward to slicing it at lunch tomorrow, as it is one of my favorite breads.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Follow-up note: The taste of the Spiced Pumpkin Rye is the best of any time I have baked it. I think that the Fairy Tale Pumpkin is even better than the pie pumpkin for this recipe. The Fairy Tale is also a darker orange, and that shows up in the sliced bread.

I usually have trouble with the bottom of the bread being too well cooked. This time I put it on two baking sheets, and that made for perfect browning all around. I will use that technique again. I've also found that the bread bakes in my oven in 55 minutes not an hour.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.