What are you Baking the week of November 24, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 24, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Those bread sticks look great, Mike!

I'm in the midst of trying Stanley Ginsberg's Spiced Pumpkin Bread from a Nov. 1, 2016 post at The Rye Baker. It's on the first rise.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made six 6-inch loaves from a batch of Challah dough (Reinhart's recipe in BBA):

image03

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Mike your bread sticks and braids look great.

The only baking I'm doing today is two loaves of banana bread.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The challah loaves aren't quite as dark as that photo suggests. I took it using my iPhone, and I don't know how to color correct it.

chocomouse
            Participant

Those braids look great, Mike!

Today I made a two-crust cream pie. I had a bit of trouble with the crust; I've struggled with pie crusts for years, and finally have been using this one with success for several years - but not today!

BakerAunt
              Participant

After baking that pumpkin wheat-rye bread (see details in separate thread), I baked my pumpkin pie on Wednesday evening. I was going to try using a half recipe of the oil crust to make decorative leaves around the side of the pie after adding the filling to the parbaked crust, but they started to fall apart. Apparently the dough is too delicate for that use. I set the cut-out designs aside, later sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar and baked for 12 minutes. I’ll use them as cookies on the side. I used little cutters with a spring that impress the design, and they the pie crust dough holds the design well.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

I have dough made from my adaption of Ellen's Buns on its first rise. I'll bake them in the 6-cup Nordic Ware (12 wells) pumpkin muffin pan, as I did a couple weeks ago. They will be cute next to the Pumpkin Wheat Rye Bread.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Today I'm making a batch of pão de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread), as an appetizer treat. I made a batch and a half, which with a #60 scoop makes about 48 golf-ball sized rolls.

We had a house guest staying with us for a few months from Brazil, he made a batch of them using a mix. I looked up recipes and made a batch from scratch, he said they were as good as the ones his mother made. Then we went to the Brazilian-American Friendship picnic a few times, and I brought these along both times, they always disappeared quickly and we got very favorable comments on them. I leave out the garlic, but I've had them in restaurants and it is considered optional.

image04

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

Mike; The challah look great.

I did two batches of pumpkin corn bread early this morning and just finished an apple slab pie. I am in the middle of pumpkin rolls but might not be done in time. I'm going to make carrot ginger soup in a couple of minutes. I wish I had an immersion blender for this recipe. I'll have to put it in a food mill after its cooked.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I baked my dressing this morning and sweet potato souffle with marshmallow topping.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I just tied string around the pumpkin rolls and put them in a place to rise. They aren't going to be done in time and the string was a horrible mess, I don't think I tied it right. I used 3 pieces of string for each roll. I wanted to use more but that was all I could handle.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Yeah, trying to tie oiled strings around a ball of dough is messy work. I may try this again some day, but with a different dough recipe.

I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving day. We had a great time, and I'm still stuffed 5 hours later. Even the weather more or less cooperated, considering the forecast 24 hours ago was for 1-3 inches of snow and/or freezing rain.

We had lots of leftover breads even after 25 or so people chewed their way through the 7 types of bread I made the last few days. There were at least 3 pumpkin pies and 3 types of brownies on the dessert bar, and a couple things I wasn't sure what they were, but no fruit pies. If we're invited next next year, I may bring an apple pie.

We gave the hostess two of the challah loaves that hadn't gotten broken into, with instructions to cut them into thick slices and make French toast with them. I'm going to slice up and freeze most of the partial loaves we brought back for the same purpose. Having frozen sliced challah makes it easy to do a little French toast on short notice. I also put most of the cranberry nut rolls in the freezer along with the hard rolls and the cheese rolls. I won't freeze the breadsticks quite yet, I plan to make cheese dip for tomorrow's football watching and I think they'd go very well with it.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Mike, I've been wondering: Since you made your Thanksgiving breads over "the last few days," how did you keep them fresh-feeling? Did you freeze the earlier batches and then pull them out of the freezer on Thanksgiving? I'm thinking that the earlier breads would have been dried out if left at room temperature. I can't imagine I'd ever have the opportunity to do what you did, but I'd like to know how you managed this, just in case.

Yesterday, I baked a new recipe for cinnamon rolls. It doesn't use yeast. Baking powder and soda, instead. The recipe makes only 4. They don't taste bad, but they're not as soft as I like cinnamon rolls. They're as much work as yeast rolls, because I still had to clean the rolling pin and the pastry board -- both tasks I don't like to do. I just think if I have to clean the pastry board, I want more return on my effort than 4 not-squishy cinnamon rolls. Having said that, I still plan on using the recipe Mike shared for 4 cinnamon rolls. It uses yeast.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

I tied the strings around the pumpkin rolls way too loose and it didn't make an impression at all. I'm going to eat these with soup or sandwiches through the week.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

The two types of hard rolls I baked last week went into the freezer. We got them out yesterday morning and they went in the oven for about 5 minutes just before dinner.

The breadsticks are supposed to be dry and crunchy, so I just left them out. The ones with cheese in them softened a bit, probably due to the moisture in the cheese.

The challah were made on Wednesday, I think it is best left to sit for a day before it is eaten anyway.

The cranberry nut muffins stay soft for several days, but I froze most of what was left after we got back yesterday.

The Brazilian cheese rolls were made Thursday morning and we packed them in an insulated bag with a heat pack underneath to keep them warm. Most of what was left of those went into the freezer last night, too.

I knew it would be way too much bread, but it gave me an excuse to try several new recipes and try a new variant on braiding challah, which I'm likely to use again, because a batch of dough (around 36 ounces) made 6 loaves, a nice size for the two of us.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.