What are you Baking the week of November 17, 2019

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 17, 2019

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I baked Blueberry Muffins this morning from Better Homes & Garden New Cookbook. Recipe calls for regular milk. I used 1 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk. I didn't add baking soda, because I use baking soda and cream of tartar in place of baking powder. I thought the 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in the formula would be enough for the buttermilk. I think I erred, because the muffins didn't rise as much as usual. What is the amount of extra baking soda to add for what amount of buttermilk? 1/4 teaspoon? Or is that too much?

BakerAunt
      Participant

I usually add 1/4 tsp. baking soda for every 1 cup of buttermilk. However, I also reduce the baking powder because 1/4 tsp. baking soda is equivalent to the rising action of 1 tsp. baking powder.

As you are not using baking powder, perhaps an additional 1/4 tsp. baking soda would solve the issue?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

1/4 tsp of baking soda per cup of buttermilk is what I've always seen, perhaps you needed more to pair up with the cream of tartar? Maybe your baking soda is too old? I've read of that happening but I buy it in huge bags at Sams, it takes several years to use that much, and we have never had a problem with it.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Could it also be that there was too much leavening? If a recipe already contains baking soda, I usually don't add extra if I'm subbing in buttermilk. I remember Cass discussing baking powder and baking soda on the KAF baking circle, but that particular thread of baking wisdom probably didn't make it to this site, as we were so focused on saving as much information and as many recipes as we could, and we couldn't get it all in the short time that King Arthur allowed us before shutting it down.

On Friday afternoon, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made up last week. I’m getting quick at rolling the dough into a rectangle, brushing it with grapeseed oil, using a pizza cutter to make squares roughly 3x3 cm, pricking the squares, sprinkling with salt, then baking. I started at 3:50 and took the last tray out of the oven about 70 minutes later. It’s a good thing that I’m getting faster, based on the rate at which my husband consumes them. 😊

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Italiancook
            Participant

I don't think I had too much leaving, BakerAunt, since I didn't add extra baking soda. But I am going to add the 1/4 tsp. extra soda next time I use buttermilk just to see what happens. Mike, I keep my baking soda only for 6 months then replace it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Saturday afternoon, I tried the Deli Rye Rolls recipe from the Holiday 2019 issue of Sift, using the Zo bread machine for the kneading. The recipe is also on the KAF website, although it uses vital wheat gluten and the one in the magazine does not. Also, the recipe online says deli rye flavor OR onion powder. I wish that I had looked before I baked:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/deli-rye-rolls-recipe

I made a couple of changes to the recipe. I wanted to use up some First Clear Flour, so I used about 2 cups of it, and finished off the 2 ½ cups with AP flour. I also substituted in ¾ cup buttermilk and reduced the salt from 1 ½ to 1 tsp.. The Zo did a good job with the slightly sticky dough. I moved it to a 2-quart oiled dough bucket for the first rise. I shaped the dough as 12 rolls and baked in a 9x9-inch square pan. The recipe said 15-20 minutes. The rolls needed 20 minutes to get to 195 (recipe said 190), and I baked them an additional two minutes.

We sampled them for dinner tonight. The recipe had called for 3 Tbs. dried minced onion and 2 tsp. onion powder. I used Penzey’s roasted onion powder. My husband and I both concluded that the onion taste in the rolls is so strong that it overwhelms the rye, which is disappointing. If I were to bake this recipe again, I would, at the least, omit the onion powder, and I would replace it with the deli rye flavor.

I did omit the topping, and I did make changes to the recipe, but I doubt that in the end my changes altered it significantly. I have a couple better rye roll recipes, so I will not bake this one again.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made up the blitz puff pastry from the KAF recipe, making a sort of rugelach cookie. They turned out perfectly, exactly as I hoped they would. (Well, except that I had to rush near the end, got careless, so some were not well shaped and some didn't "seal" at the overlap of the corners). It made a nice flakey pastry, plenty of layers, but fewer than from a true laminated dough with many more turns and chillings. I used cherry pastry filling from a can (Solo brand), and the cookies taste very good. I would use this recipe again.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made a batch of rye rolls starting with the Clayton eggshell roll recipe I made earlier this week, subbing in 20% dark rye flour, using molasses instead of barley malt and adjusting the salt and water amounts so the recipe was reasonably hydrated.

I also made a poolish with some of the flour and water and let it sit overnight.

Pretty good, I'm not sure if the surface will harden over time, but I will likely make it again, if only because I want to have a variety of rolls for Thanksgiving and this batch might not last that long. I may freeze a bunch of them so they are fresh on Thursday.

I didn't put caraway in them, I might do that next time. I thought about giving them an egg wash but I'm not sure how that would impact the crust. I may try that in a future batch.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I'm sorry the deli rye rolls didn't work out for you, BakerAunt. We love that recipe, one of our favorites! I'm using the recipe that was printed in one of their catalogues, and my notes say I first made it in September, 2017. I never use buttermilk in rye bread, but I always try to use half water and half pickle juice (if I have any on hand) for any rye recipe - although the first time using a recipe I try to behave and follow it exactly! My copy of this recipe does NOT say to use dried onion OR deli rye flavor - it calls for both. There is no mention of onion powder. I used to use vital wheat gluten in all rye recipes, but no longer do that, it's not needed with the stronger KAF AP flour. A warning -- I was in KAF about a month ago, and they have changed some of their rye flavor/sour additives, eliminating one, and everything is in new packaging now, which I find misleading (it's just the way my brain works -- change the packaging and I am sure you have changed the ingredients!). I think they stopped carrying the sour. Anyway, I'm glad you have some other rye recipes to fall back on!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Chocomouse--a lot of companies are changing their packaging because there are new nutritional guidelines about what should be listed as of January 2020. Vitamins A and C are out, but Vitamin D and potassium are in. The thinking is that few people have a deficiency of A and C, but a lot of people are low on D and potassium. New packaging will also list "added sugars" as separate from naturally occurring sugars. The other change has something to do about how fats are listed, since we now know that some fats are good for us.

I think that the Deli Rye Rolls might have been ok if the recipe had not specified 3 Tbs. dried mixed onion and 2 tsp. onion powder. In looking at the Autumn Sift magazine, there seems to be a shift toward putting in onion powder in recipes that would have specified deli rye flavor. Maybe that was because the magazine was supposed to be aimed at people who might not have the specialty ingredients? However, onion powder will never be deli rye flavor. I like your idea of using pickle juice. If I make it again, I'll use that rather than buttermilk.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I actually found the thread on mincemeat muffins and Kid Pizza (Cass)'s comments. As it turns out, I had it saved to this site:

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.