Too Much Baking Powder in Mincemeat Muffins? Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Too Much Baking Powder in Mincemeat Muffins? Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Too Much Baking Powder in Mincemeat Muffins?

Calling Kidpizza or other baking advisors! A recipe I would like to try seems to have a large amount of baking powder--1 Tbs. to 2 cups flour. It got good reviews so people have tried it. Here are the ingredients:

1/2 cup pecans
      1 apple
      1 large egg
      3/4 cup apple juice
      1/3 cup vegetable oil
      1 1/3 cups bottled mincemeat
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon cinnamon
      1/3 cup granulated sugar

posted by: chiara on March 03, 2014 at 3:41 pm in General discussions

reply by: KIDPIZZA on March 03, 2014 at 6:52 pm
      CHIARA:
      Good evening to you my friend. Yes, your assessment is correct...except for the fact that there are heavy ingredients involved here.... EXTRA LIFT must be provided.
      Pecans are approx. 2 1/4, oz.....I do not know the weight of the mincemeat but it can be 10, oz
      Chiara, notice that there is apple juice in the ingredient list. That is acidic. We must neutralize the acidity with 1/4, tsp of baking SODA. We then can reduce the POWDER to 2 1/2, tsp (1 TBLS is 3, tsp).
      I hope this helps. Post back with your results my friend.
      Enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

reply by: chiara on March 03, 2014 at 9:00 pm
      Kidpizza--That's not as big a change as I would have thought. But now I will try it and tell you how it goes using your adjustment. Thanks again!

reply by: Antilope on March 04, 2014 at 3:43 am
      Except for the pecans and salt, here's a link to almost exactly the same recipe as yours in a 1993 newspaper:
      Cinnamon Apple Mince Muffins - Lakeland Ledger - Nov 7, 1993
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TPAvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=efwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4...

[Uploader's Note: the link appears to be broken now.]

reply by: chiara on March 04, 2014 at 5:34 pm
      Sure enough the recipes are very similar. Thanks.

reply by: chiara on April 13, 2014 at 1:38 pm
      Kidpizza reminded me on another thread that I hadn't made the mincemeat muffins. So I did. I found still another recipe, basically doubled the one I originally posted. That was good as I wanted to use the entire jar of mincemeat. Despite being doubled this recipe used only 1 Tbs baking powder, only 1 egg, and a few other differences. So I kept the 1 Tbs. baking powder, used 2 eggs and made a few other changes. The muffins were great. My final recipe posted below.

Mincemeat Muffins
      3 cups flour
      1 Tbs. baking powder
      ¾ cup sugar
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      2 eggs
      1 cup apple cider
      1/3 cup vegetable oil
      1 apple, cored and chopped
      1 (28 oz. () jar prepared mincemeat
      1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour or line with muffin papers 24 muffin cups.

Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sugar.

In another bowl, whisk together the egg, apple cider, and oil. Stir in the apple and mincemeat. Pour in the flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Fill the muffin cups and bake until the muffins are risen and browned and the tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool.

Glaze (optional)
      ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
      ¼ tsp cinnamon
      1 tbs apple cider, or as needed

Combine and spread on warm muffins.

reply by: bakeraunt on June 08, 2014 at 6:28 pm
      I have been wanting to try this mincemeat muffin recipe since it first appeared in the discussions last March. I made the changes Kidpizza suggested. I also substituted in 1 cup of white whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour. Since Chiara did not include the baking instructions, I looked at the link that Antelope provided and baked them for 18 minutes at 400F. I ended up with 16 muffins. I baked a pan of 12 at the start, then a pan with four (oven does not hold both pans). The muffins in the first batch were rounded; the second batch domed a little more (probably I put more batter in the muffin pans). These are delicious, and the recipe has earned a permanent place in my repertoire.

I used an 11 oz. jar of mincemeat that I bought for tarts I never made. The brand was Thursday Cottage (made in England). I used a Braeburn apple.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.