What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

The interior is a little light, it over rose just a little.

It made a fine grilled cheese sandwich, nice crisp exterior and a soft interior. Overall I'm pleased with it.

bread‑1

bread‑2

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Len your bread and sandwich looks yummy!

RiversideLen
        Participant

Thank you, Joan, and yes, you are right!

kimbob
          Participant

Yesterday baked a yellow cake, cherry filling, buttercream icing for my husband on his birthday.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Kimbob your cake sounds very good,Happy Birthday to your husband.

chocomouse
              Participant

If my husband shows up on your doorstep claiming it is also his birthday, please just send him back home!! He would love that cake.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Happy Birthday to your husband, Kimbob, that cakes sounds marvelous, if you have any left I'd love a slice!

skeptic7
                  Participant

Riverside Len; The bread and sandwich looks wonderful.

BakerAunt; you certainly had a busy weekend. I like the sound of the Cinnamon raisin bread.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I have a loaf of banana bread in the oven,I was out of buttermilk so I used sour cream and added another tablespoon in place of buttermilk,should work,we'll see.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

How did the banana bread come out, Joan?

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Banana bread was perfect,very moist,couldn't tell any difference.My recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of buttermilk that I didn't have so I used that plus a tablespoon more of sour cream.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                          • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                          aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I've made scones with Violet and sourdough bread this week. The scones were chocolate chip because Violet would rather have chocolate chips than raisins. I think at this point I would really rather have raisins.

At some point I'll need to make whole wheat again and I want to make another cake because the last one did not come out very well.

Had a small blowout on the sourdough - smaller than last time but less crusty. Still need to figure this out.

Still need to make raisin bread as that is the only bread we buy and an olive bread would be good too. The olive bread my family likes is a light tasting sourdough - more olive than bread taste. So if I can figure out how to do that everyone will like it.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Len, just looked at your bread. It looks great!

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

Sorry everyone for not keeping up...

BA, how pronounced is the sour in your raisin bread? The boys like sour sourdough. The girls do not.

Also I do not have any AP flour so maybe I'll add some pastry flour or cake flour to lower it.

KAF is odd - their pastry flour (8.5% I believe) has lower gluten than their cake flour (10% I believe).

When I emailed them and asked about that their respondent said he did not understand the question and suggested I call their hotline.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Aaron--There is very little sour taste in my Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough Bread. It tastes sweet, and has stayed relatively soft. (I did replace the butter with 3 Tbs. olive oil.) Of course, I did mess with the recipe (as you can see from the details I posted). Mine was mostly whole wheat with just the AP that was in my starter, and then 1 cup plus 1 Tbs. bread flour. As I noted, the hydration was a bit too high. Next time, I'd stick to 1 cup of bread flour and use at least an extra 1/4 cup of the whole wheat. (I used Bob's Red Mill WW. and BRM Artisan Bread flour--which is their regular bread flour.)

I don't think that the pastry flour would work all that well. If you can get your hands on some Gold Medal AP that would be better than pastry flour, although not as good as KAF AP.

I replaced with bread flour because I was replacing 2/3 of the flour with whole wheat flour.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.