What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm getting ready to start Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough bread, and I plan to bake some kind of buns for tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've been reading through the various 'black bread' recipes in Ginsberg, I think I'm going to tackle one of them next, but probably not for a couple of days.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I baked my usual semolina/rye/wheat recipe but instead of buns I made a loaf. I've been thinking about grilled cheese for lunch lately so I kneaded a loaf. Even though I used the reduced amount of yeast it rose real quick today. The oven wasn't properly preheated but I had to pop it in anyway. It just came out a few minutes ago, it looks fine.

bread

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Italiancook
          Participant

It looks better than fine, Len, it's gorgeous!

S_Wirth
            Participant

Len...your bread is just beautiful!

chocomouse
              Participant

Today I made 2 loaves of Super 10 Blend bread, back of the bag recipe modified. I used 2 cups Super 10, 2 cups AP, 1 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds. I also used buttermilk instead of water. I'm needing to cut back on whole wheat because my supply is getting low. It took longer to rise, but had excellent oven spring and the texture and taste are great.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Len your bread looks perfect!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Sometimes bread dough rises a lot faster, a couple of degrees difference in temperature or even a teaspoon or two more water than usual and it can really take off.

The bread looks pretty good, though. What's the interior color/structure like?

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Thanks everyone. It was a warm day today although I did have the a/c on. But my house is cooler in the cold weather months because I tend to keep the heat lower than the a/c. My dough usually weighs in at about 750 to 760 grams, today's was 760 so it was on the higher side of hydration.

I haven't sliced it yet as I finished the last bun from my previous batch with dinner tonight. I'll report back on it tomorrow.

I forgot to mention, instead of baking it in a standard loaf pan, I used my 9 x 5 USA pan.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by RiversideLen.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Cinnamon Raisin Bread has been on my mind, and on Sunday, I pulled out a KAF recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough that I have never baked. I wanted to see if I could reduce the yeast and use more sourdough starter, so I used 1 cup of my thick starter. I replaced 2 of the 3 cups of AP flour with whole wheat and the third cup with bread flour. I mixed the sourdough starter with the 2 cups of whole wheat flour and ½ cup of warm water and let it rest, covered for an hour. I proofed yeast in a bit of the sugar and ¼ cup water, mixed that in, then put it into the Zo. I added the egg and the cup of bread flour with the salt (reduced from 1 ¼ to ¾ tsp.). I used 3 Tbs. olive oil in place of the butter. I added an additional Tbs. of flour early on. The dough looked good. I went ahead and added golden raisins when the Zo beeped, rather than waiting and putting them in the filling. It was a very sloppy dough. I debated adding more flour but decided not to do so.

It rose in 50 minutes, and it was clearly a higher hydration than I usually tackle. I put it onto a mat, dusted with white rye, and did some stretch folds. I patted it out to 6 x 16 inches after I realized that I had selected the wrong Silpat mat (should have been 6x20). I did not use an egg and flour in the filling—just the cinnamon and sugar, which I spritzed with water before rolling. It was not as hard to roll up as I had feared. I dusted the outside with some more white rye after I had sealed it and tried to get it tight. I plopped it into the loaf pan—then realized that I’d not greased the loaf pan. (My husband was yammering at me about issues with the printer.) I was able to dump the loaf back out, grease the pan, then put it back. The second rise took 50 minutes.

After it went into the oven, I tented it after 20 minutes. The total baking time was 40 minutes to 192F. Some filling leaked out along one side, which I smelled early. I was able to put a piece of parchment on the rack under one side of the pan to catch some additional spill, but I’ll have to figure out how to clean it off the oven floor. When I bake this recipe again, I will put the bread pan on a piece of parchment.

The loaf looked good, and to my relief did not stick to the pan. The center sunk a bit while it cooled. I know the hydration was too high. I would add another 3 Tbs. of flour next time. It smells good, so I’m looking forward to a slice at breakfast tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Your bread looks beautiful Len. As for buns--I baked your recipe as ten buns Sunday evening. As usual, I substituted ¾ cup buttermilk for that much water. I also cut the yeast down to 1 ½ tsp. from the 2 tsp. in the recipe. It made absolutely no difference in the rising times. (The house is warmer today, as we had our first real summer day with temperatures in the mid-80s.) I experimented by baking them on the third rack up—above the center, which is what Ginsberg’s rye roll recipes usually require. They needed 18 minutes, but the bottoms did not overly brown, so that will be a permanent change for me.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

The Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough bread is wonderful. I'd give my effort a B or B- for outward looks, a B+ for inner looks, as the swirl ended up toward the top of the loaf (as a result of my shaping difficulties) but the crumb is lovely with the nice smaller holes typical of my sourdoughs. I would give it an A for taste and texture. Next time, I'll use just a bit more flour.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I'm headed to the kitchen to make English Batter Buns from Taste of Home. It's a 3 hour 20 minute project, and I'm tired from the ham dinner yesterday, so I hope the stand mixer cooperated without the head bouncing around.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Monday, I baked my Sourdough Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

S. Wirth’s mention of jam led me to recall that I still have a lot of peach jam that I canned almost two years ago. On Monday, I baked the Apricot Oatmeal Bars (recipe on this site, thanks to S. Wirth) using my peach jam, which I sprinkled with a bit of ginger. While a Memorial Day pie would have been nice, these are nice too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.