What are you Baking the Week of May 22, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 22, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made the scald for the Ginsberg Danish Rye bread last night and mixed up the dough today, it'll go in the oven shortly but needs to rest/cure for 24-48 hours before slicing. The report on this recipe will go in the rye project thread. It uses a lot of molasses, so it should be pretty sweet, but probably not quite as sweet as a Boston Brown Bread.

Ginsberg says this bread is often used for open face sandwiches, I'll have to think about that for dinner in a day or two.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm interested in whether the flax seeds softened in the soaker.

I baked my no butter cranberry scones on Monday morning and had one for breakfast. I set aside another two and froze the other five. I used half King Arthur AP and half King Arthur Irish-Style flour. Frozen cranberries work better than fresh. Blueberries would also be good.

Monday's baking continued that afternoon. I baked Black Raspberry Jam Oatmeal Bars for dessert over the next few dinners. I baked Oat Cakes, a current great favorite of my husband and me. I also tried the Italian Breakfast Cookies again, this time using the correct flour. However, they seem a bit flat in appearance. There was a certain amount of chaos in the kitchen, with my husband and the dog while I was working on mixing them, and I am wondering if I omitted the baking powder.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm sure the flax seeds softened a bit in the scald/soaker, but may have hardened back up during baking. How much flax seeds break up as you're chewing the bread is something I've wondered about.

We're going to have some of the Danish rye bread with sharp cheddar cheese for supper, plus a salad.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Here's a picture of the outermost slice, I'd say the flax seeds didn't break up much.

The bread is rather gummy, though the internal temp was well over 200.

It may need to cure for another day.

danish-rye

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We put some slices under the broiler to dry them out a bit more, then melted some sharp cheddar cheese and poured it on. It was quite good as an appetizer, then we had salads.

I threw the rest of the loaf back in the oven at 350. I'll check it in a while, I think it needs at least another 45 minutes.

The bread is tasty enough that I'll make it another time before I write it up for the Rye Project thread, I'm calling this loaf an operator error issue.

chocomouse
              Participant

Yesterday I made Maple Sticky Buns, following Susan Reed's recipe for sticky buns, but substituting maple syrup and maple sugar for the white and brown sugar. They are good, but do not have a strong maple flavor.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today I baked a half of a box pineapple cake ,when it cooled a little I poured some cream of coconut over the top to sink in then added some coconut to cool whip and frosted the top and sprinkled a little more on top.For the liquid I added pineapple juice to the cake mix.It is so moist and good,very cooling.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made maple granola on Wednesday.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Thursday, using dough that I made last week.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I did put the Danish rye bread back in the oven for about an hour, parts of the top are now decidedly overbaked, but the middle is still somewhat soft and gummy. It still tastes interesting with some cheese, even with some butter on it.

I'll try this recipe again in a few weeks, but I plan to review some other Danish rye bread recipes to see if I can find some ideas to make it turn out better.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Bread blowouts! I let them rise overnight in the refrigerator. Next time I'll let them rise overnight in the basement which is warmer than the fridge but cooler than the kitchen.

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

How long did they proof at room temperature after coming out of the fridge? The most common cause of blowouts is under-proofing before it goes in the oven, though if the surface develops a crust or it isn't slashed enough that can also contribute to expansion in undesirable places, which is what a blowout is.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

They proofed for about two hours. I probably could have scored them deeper.

Next time. Thanks

chocomouse
                              Participant

I made cookies with mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, craisins, coconut, almonds, and walnuts.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

As I was reading on Friday, I developed a strong desire for butterscotch bars. I pulled out the Blonde Brownies recipe that Weedsnstitches posted on the Baking Circle for Mrs. Cindy to bake for her niece Claire. I made a few changes in that I replaced 1/4 cup of butter, melted, with 3 Tbs. avocado oil plus 1 Tbs. buttermilk, halved the salt, and used white whole wheat flour. I also added a tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill milk powder. With a packed cup of light brown sugar, these bars are not health food, but my changes give them some nutritional value. I'm not sure why, but butterscotch brownies are a comfort food for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.