What are you baking the week of March 31, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of March 31, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I always use semolina in my pizza dough. That's the primary reason I keep it on hand.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I baked a new recipe today"New Foundland Molasses Raisin Bread" from Rock Recipes.I halved the recipe and got 2 nice 9x5 loaves.I did add an extra egg and soaked my raisins in spiced rum,put them in microwave just a minute to plump up and added 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.The bread took a long time to rise like recipe stated it would.I had a piece tonight toasted and it's very good.Dark in color but the taste is good.I think I added a tad too much molasses,it was suppose to be a half cup and it was a little over.I know a little molasses goes along way!It has a good crumb and cut well.

https://www.rockrecipes.com/newfoundland-molasses-raisin-bread/ if you want to check it out.

chocomouse
        Participant

Yesterday I made two loaves of pumpernickel bread and 4 dozen molasses crinkle cookies.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Hi,

Big baking week for me for the first time in a long time.

I made KAF baked fudgy doughnuts, pizza, pancakes, and scones.

Anyone ever made a microwave cake?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've made a few of them, the timing is very tricky, if you're not careful you wind up with half-cooked batter, but you can tell your guests it is a lava cake 🙂 , or an over-cooked rubbery cake. (They make it look so easy when they do it on 'Chopped'.)

It works best when it is small, which is why they're usually made in a ramekin.

I find the hardest recipes to get right are the 'brownie in a cup' ones. Not sure why. But you can cover up your mistakes with ice cream!

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Hi,

There is a flour place out west - I think So Cal - that repackages KAF flours into five pound bags. I've purchased first clear flour from them as well as Queen Guinevere. I'll look to see who it is when I'm back home in my kitchen.

"Chopped" does make the microwave cakes look very simple and I can see how something would become rubber really quickly. But I have a five year old who likes to help me bake and who can use the microwave some (I don't let her take things out because they can be very hot) so if I can get this down she can help and be more involved in the process.

Thanks

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

You might show her the KAF microwave lemon curd recipe, it's fairly easy to make and very good on scones. (I can't post the scones recipe my wife uses, though, because she got it from a caterer on the condition that she not distribute it.) Because it's very high in acid, lemon curd keeps well in the refrigerator, for at least a week, if it lasts that long! We have one Meyer lemon that is starting to ripen on our tree, I'll use it to make a small batch of lemon curd. (It looks like we're going to get at least a half dozen lemons next year, we've already had that many set fruit.)

However, don't try to double the recipe, it takes 4-5 times as long to cook and is more likely to get lumpy. I always strain it through a mesh, that way if you get any egg that overcooks, you strain the chunks out.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've been to a couple of Mennonite grocery stores that I think also buy KAF flours and repackage them.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Thanks for the lemon curd suggestion. I'll try it next time we make scones.

New York Bakers is where I found first clear flour. I actually bought another brand - Miller's. It makes good rye bread.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I wondered if you might not be referring to New York Bakers. I've not ordered from them yet.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Oat Bran Banana bread from a recipe that I created by major adaptations to one I found at Cooking.com. I forgot to grind the oat bran, but the loaf still came out moist and delicious—and healthy! This recipe is a keeper. I will try to get it posted here when I can.

On Thursday, I baked the King Arthur recipe for Chewy Semolina Rye bread, but I made some changes: I substituted in ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. buttermilk (5 fluid oz.). I replaced the Vital Wheat Gluten with an equal amount of first clear flour. I cut the salt down to 1 tsp. from 1 ½ tsp. I do not buy the KAF rye blend, so I used ¾ cup of dark rye flour and ¼ cup of white rye flour. The latter was bought back when I was going to try a scone and a cookie recipe that specified white rye, but I am unlikely to make those now, so I want to use the white rye flour which is taking up freezer space, and combining it with another rye flour is a good start. I omitted the dried minced onion, because we might want to use this bread for peanut butter sandwiches at some point. I used the bread machine to knead the loaf, and I held back the olive oil until after the initial 5-minute mix and 5-minute rest. I do own the baking bowl the recipe specifies, but it is still packed away until after the renovation, so I used an 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch loaf pan, and adjusted baking temperature and time: I baked it at 375F for 40 minutes, to an internal temperature of 202F. I did not do the egg seed topping. We cut into it for lunch on Friday, and flavor and texture have earned it a permanent place in my baking repertoire

On Thursday, I fed my sourdough starter and made my half-sheet pan pizza. I topped it with cherry tomatoes that I cut in half; they were on sale because slightly blemished, which is perfect for a recipe where they are baked. I sprinkled some Penzey’s garlic powder and Tuscan Sunset blend over those, then added browned ground turkey, sliced mushrooms, chopped red bell pepper, sliced green onion, 4 oz. part-skim mozzarella diced small, and grated Parmesan on top. It was a cold, rainy day, so the pizza really hit the spot.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by BakerAunt.
                          aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I just checked their website. They don't have seem to have cake flour anymore. I did have access to a restaurant wholesaler here. I have to see if my access still works and what they have. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Pizza for dinner! thin crust with tomato sauce, spicy sausage, mushrooms, red bell peppers, onions and cheddar-mozzarella cheese.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I've had good results with Bob's Red Mill unbleached cake flour.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Aaron, I still see the unbleached cake flour on the KAF site, but they discontinued the bleached cake flour several years ago on the retail site, though I think they still sell it in large bags to bakeries:
                                  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/unbleached-cake-flour

I don't use much cake flour here, the cakes we make the most often use AP.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.