What are you Baking the Week of March 19, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 19, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Baked the little chocolate cake with chocolate icing today.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I made Oatmeal Pancakes for breakfast on Thursday and used a cup of oat milk, which I need to use up. I made them all wholegrain by using white whole wheat for the flour. They were excellent, and my husband even had two after eating his oatmeal. I went ahead and cooked the rest of the batter, so I will eat those two for breakfast tomorrow.

On Thursday evening, I baked Apple, Barley, and Olive Oil Cake to use the last four Winesaps that we bought last autumn. I baked the recipe as a 6 cup Bundt and a 3-cup Bundt. I plan to freeze the larger one, since my husband will be on a restricted diet for Monday.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I made a new recipe - Lemon Oatmeal Sugar Cookies. They are very good, but loaded with butter and sugar. I scooped and froze about half of the batter in a zip-lock bag for when I really need a couple of cookies.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Chocomouse the lemon oatmeal sugar cookie sounds so good.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Choco, Lemon Oatmeal Sugar Cookies sound great. Did you scoop the dough into individual cookies or as on piece of dough?

BA, I quit making pancakes as my kids complained they tasted "too healthy". They still had butter and some white flour but also whole wheat and flax meal. They like restaurant pancakes. I supposed I could buy some malt and see if that makes a difference. Whose white whole wheat do you use? Where do you buy it?

I am trying a few things this week. I am testing a flour mix someone at the BBGA is trying. I mostly want to see what einkorn flour is like without buying a two pound bag for $12 or something like that. I don't like the way the recipe is written. First the website needs higher contrast and it's written in chunky paragraphs that are hard for me to follow. I've already screwed it up by not doing the intial rise in the mixing bow but that should be okay. The recipe is password protected so I'll see if I can get persmission to share it.

Next, I've always wanted to try using old dough. So I dumped 200g of old pizza dough into my new pizza dough this week. I thought it would be hard to mix in but it wasn't. The total batch of dough is 2600g so I am not sure if 200g is enough to make any difference. I chopped up the old dough and let it sit in my water while I put together my dry ingredients. I dumped the water mix into the dry and mixed everything as usual. I may try a bigger amount of old dough next time.

chocomouse
              Participant

The lemon oatmeal sugar cookies recipe is from Taste of Home and available on line; google it. I used a 2 teaspoon (?) scooper and got about 4 dozen cookies. I think about 10 minutes is the best baking time in my Breville oven. I love lemon and like a very strong lemon flavoring; my favorite is the KAF lemon juice powder but I'm trying to use up some older ingredients so I used Boyajian lemon oil and lemon zest. I also threw in the remainder of a bag of lemon bits, a handful or two, maybe a 1/4 cup. I'll make these again, and am thinking about using lime flavoring. They are pretty rich, but I'm convinced the oatmeal makes them healthy!

BakerAunt
                Participant

Oats make everything healthier, Chocomouse!

Aaron--I use KABC white whole wheat flour. I preferred the BRM Ivory flour, but they stopped carrying it four or five years ago. I have the KABC membership where I get free shipping on orders over $25 and earn points that add up to coupons in increments of $5 off. I order enough other items from KABC (pumpernickel and medium rye flour, baking powder, special dry milk, cheese powder, espresso powder, cocoas) that it is worth my while.

I dislike Restaurant pancakes because they are so lightweight. My husband is not a big pancake eater, but he likes mine because they are substantial. I'll post a couple of my recipes in the next couple of days.

I don't think it hurts to move the dough out of the mixing bowl, so I usually ignore that direction unless it is a sponge, in which case I leave it in the mixing bowl. For raising dough, I like my dough buckets with snap on lids.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made another batch of peanut butter cookies today.

Italiancook
                    Participant

chocomouse, I thought of you today while I was baking. I made Giada DeLaurentis' Lemon Ricotta Biscuits for the second time. I think you'd like these lemony goodness delights. They're baked in a muffin tin. Link below: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/nonnas-lemon-ricotta-biscuits-recipe-1916098

I don't like almonds, so I used vanilla in the batter and coarsely chopped pecans for the topping. Otherwise, I followed the recipe and used lemon zest and juice. Next time, I'm going to delete those two things and use Lemon Juice Powder and a tablespoon water to replace the juice.

I used a 1/4 cup scoop. Before I bake these again, I'm going to buy a 1/2 cup scoop, because it'll save time. There's enough batter for the larger scoop.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made Maple Granola on Saturday.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Here is my einkorn boule.

It was a mix of flours that were AP, einkorn, and whole wheat. I wish I had taken a picture of the mix to show you but I forgot to do that. It's from local farmers and a local miller making stone ground flour.

The dough was very slack. I added a second stretch/fold and I probably could have used a third. Also, the recipe called for warm rises which I don't usually do. I did this time because I was testing this and wanted to follow instructions. When I shaped my boule I probably could have used a few more turns to tighten it up as well.

My second proof as a boule was in a bowl that was way too small and I probably used too little flour. I've made boules before final shaping but I don't make boules for my final product because for me batards and loaf pans are easier to make sandwiches with. The dough stuck to the towel even though I used a lot of flour. So it was either the bowl was too small, not enough flour, or both. I did salvage most of the dough and plopped it onto the stone.

The taste and flavor were nice. Based on this recipe I may try using a little less starter in my own sandwich loaves to see how it affects taste.

einkorn-boule-cut-small-03252023

einkorn-boule-cut-2-small-03252023

einkorn-boule-uncut-small-03252023

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Aaron your bread looks good.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Thanks, ItalianCook, I will try these. I'll probably use lemon juice powder too. I'll follow the recipe the first time around, and if I like them, I'll likely try to cut back on the butter and sugar by subbing oil and/or apple sauce and cut the sugar to 1/2 a cup.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My flour for the einkorn test came the other day.

I'm not big on boules, either, because you don't get even slices for sandwiches.

The lack of height is probably due to the slackness of the dough. I wonder how many of the testers are doing free-form vs pan breads?

BTW, I fixed your post so all 3 pictures come up, instead of the same picture 3 times. This seems to have become an issue with WordPress lately, I think a recent update broke something.

I'm in the process of moving my two sports lists over to Discourse, I might move this site over to it as well, but not for a while. I'm still looking for something that does a better job of formatting and printing recipes and allows printing only selected posts. I suspect in the end I may have to just write it myself.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Thanks BA for the KAB info. I'll check online for their white whole wheat and see. The only places I can find it now only have organic and it is north of $15/5lbs which is too rich for my blood.

Mike, I'll be interested to see how your bread comes out. I was trying to do things just like the recipe so I made a boule. I'll be interested to see what your results are. I wish I had two kits so I could do the first following the steps and the second with extra stretching, etc.

The taste is good. It changed the second day. It's more sour today than yesterday.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.