What are you Baking the Week of June 9, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 9, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I might do some buns today.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made two loaves of Harvest Grain bread.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I made a loaf of the Semolina Rye bread, but used Sprouted wheat flour instead of rye. I used 9g of salt which is what the recipe called for before doubling for the Emile Henry long baker. My slashes weren't very good, so it didn't rise fully, but it still tastes good. Will is gone for about 6 more weeks, so I get to bake some bread.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Sunday. My husband can now eat them again, and he is overjoyed to have his crackers.

I also baked a half recipe of that Lemon Ricotta Muffin recipe that I first baked about a month ago in order to use up 5 oz. of ricotta. I was unsure about the recipe at first, but the flavor improved the day after they were baked, so I baked them after finishing the crackers. I made the same changes as last time, adding a heaping half cup of blueberries and ¼ tsp. vanilla in place of the almond extract, but this time I used white whole wheat flour and added a tablespoon of milk powder.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made Peter Reinhart's Wild Rice and Onion Bread, but shaped it into 12 small dinner rolls and 6 thin "burger buns" this time. I also reduced the salt and subbed in 2 cups of whole wheat for 2 cups of bread flour. I used wild rice leftover from dinner last week. We love this bread, but I don't make it very often.

BakerAunt
              Participant

That recipe sounds very good, Chocomouse. I'll look for it in my Peter Reinhart cookbooks.

On Tuesday, having made the levain the previous evening, I baked my Rustic Wholegrain Sourdough Bread in a Romertopf bowl and the cloche from my baking set. Today may be the last cool day (mid-70s) that we will have for a while.

After baking the bread, as I already had a hot oven, I baked an adaptation of Apple-Cinnamon Bars, which is from The Baking Sheet Newsletter, Vol XII, No. 1 Holiday 2000 issue. I replaced the AP flour with white whole wheat and cut the light brown sugar from 34 to ½ cup. I used a scant 1/3 cup of cinnamon chips rather than ½ cup. I replaced 6 Tbs. butter with 4 Tbs. avocado oil. I used a partial egg and another small one for the large egg, because I wanted to use up the partial one but did not think it would be enough. I added 1 Tbs. of both milk powder and flax meal. I used ½ cup of apple butter from a jar that I canned last winter. I made just a half recipe of the glaze but used butter, as sometimes there is no substitute. We will start having it for dessert tomorrow.

Oh, and instead of a 9 x 9 pan, being mindful of how apple affects my metal pans, I again used the glass 11 1/2 x 7-inch baking dish.

skeptic7
                Participant

I made KAF Breakfast Cookies yesterday but use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour for all the flour and the Hi-Fiber Maize Flour. I used walnuts and cranberries and oatmeal for my add-ins and also added 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp baking powder. It made 21 very large cookies. I once tried to make smaller cookies but they came out too hard and dry. I had the Gluten Free Flour left over from another recipe, and this allowed me to give the cookies to a friend who is avoiding gluten.
                  I ate two of the cookies myself and thought they had turned out well.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Joan--I've now posted the applesauce doughnut recipe. If you do not have the boiled cider, it's ok to omit it as long as you have tasty applesauce.

Also, check the King Arthur site, as I have a Maple Doughnut recipe printed from there which makes 6 doughnuts. It has been a while since I baked them, but I have a note that they are very good. My only change was to replace the AP with white whole wheat flour, halve the salt, replace the milk with buttermilk and adjust the baking powder to 1/2 tsp plus 1/8th tsp. baking soda.

One of these days, I will try a recipe for baked doughnuts here at Nebraska Kitchen, submitted by Reagan on the baking circle, titled Vermont Apple Cider Donuts with Maple Glaze. I just have to remember to make it in the fall when apple cider is available. Her recipe used mini-Bundt pans, but it should work for two 6-well doughnut pans.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I baked another tray of focaccia, with Penzey's Foxpoint and KAF's The Works sprinkled on top.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Thank you BakerAunt I will get around to trying those doughnut recipes . I had to throw out some whole wheat flour and replace it the other day . All y'alls baking sounds good to me .

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I made another Carrot Cake to take to Poker Night tomorrow. I made a mess today in the kitchen.First off I didn't start with a big enough bowl .I had sugar and oil in when I started mixing it went everywhere (I didn't use my guard) I had to wipe counters and floor, so start adding flour and it was slinging good, stopped the mixing changed to a bigger bowl, wiped up lots more and know now I'm going to add more flour and cinnamon to compensate for what was lost. Just added about a half cup of flour and a tsp more cinnamon and we shall see tomorrow night, looks good. What a day but I shall smile.

IMG_0858

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Carrot cakes are pretty forgiving in terms of ingredients.

Looks good, though.

chocomouse
                            Participant

OK, Joan, you've talked me into it. This is the 2nd one you've made in a few weeks, and I have carrot cake on my list, but not made it yet. Next week I will, I promise! I also have that same Tupperware (I think) cake holder, from many, many years ago. I use it for a lot of things, even turned upside down with the base as a lid.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Joan, I'm sorry you had difficulty, but it looks great. I love carrot cake, I'm going to have to buy one soon, maybe just a slice.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I have made the same mistake, Joan, by starting out with a bowl that is too small. I now write on the recipe which bowl I use so that I do not forget.

Your cake looks good, and no one will know there was a problem. Like Chocomouse, I also had that same Tupperware cake taker, but, alas, the top of mine cracked, probably because it had two years of storage in a box in the shed when we first moved here. I kept the base, as I figure that I will find a way to use it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.