Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuits by grizzlybiscuit

Home Forums Recipes Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuits by grizzlybiscuit

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

SOUTHERN STYLE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
      Submitted by grizzlybiscuit on February 23, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Biscuits are my favorite thing in life to eat (hence my username), and these are made with all 100% lard for the shortening, which I think makes the flakiest and most tender biscuits! It is the only way to start the morning down here in the South!!

The recipe may seem a bit large, but it will yield about twelve to fifteen 2 1/4" biscuits. As with all recipes on this site, I think they should be looked at as guidelines. If you have good results but you feel you could be a little happier with them by all means don't be afraid to tinker a little with the recipes and make small adjustments!!

about 18 oz. of White Lily or All Purpose flour
      you can also try 12 oz. White Lily/6 oz. Whole grain spelt flour
      (If using self-rising flour eliminate the baking powder & salt)
      1 Tbs. baking powder
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. salt

If your kitchen is very warm at the time you are making your biscuits, I usually put the whole bowl into the freezer for about 15 minutes to chill all the dry ingredients.

5.5 oz. very cold lard or a combo of butter & lard: 1/2 & 1/2
      approximately 14-16 oz. cold buttermilk
      egg wash: 1 whole egg + 1 Tbs. milk beaten

1 pastry brush
      1 mixing bowl for the dough (about a 6 quart size) or similar container

Measure out flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and set aside. Mix all the dry ingredients together, and add the lard. Now work the lard into the flour with your fingertips, until it all looks like one consistency without overdoing it.

Preheat your oven now to 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

While the oven is heating up, measure out the buttermilk, and prep your baking pan with parchment paper preferably.

Now add your buttermilk to the dry ingredients, holding back a little just in case you don't need it, and mix it all together very gently!!! This dough should be very moist!

To portion out, just have some hot water on the side and use a medium ice cream scoop* (#20-24) onto a parchment lined cookie or baking half sheet pans.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.

*I used to use a biscuit cutter, but this method is soooo much easier with much less mess to clean up after.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.