What are you Baking the Week of February 12, 2023?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 12, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I will need to make semolina bread soon, perhaps on Monday. I'm going to tinker with the recipe to see if I can improve upon the last batch using the whole grain durum flour I have. (Knowing more about the composition of the flour gives me useful information on how to adapt to it.)

It seems to me that the bitterness I associate with having bran in the dough goes away over time, can't say I've noticed that with other whole grain breads. Maybe I'm just getting used to it?

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made 6 hot dog buns and 6 hamburger buns using our standard Moomie's bun recipe.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked a Chocolate Heart cake in a Kaiser Backform heart pan. See details in the thread, My Chocolate Cake Overfloweth, and give me your advice as to what the heck happened.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked a small pan of sour cream corn bread to go with stew.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made a 10x10 Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, a half-recipe of batter and a full recipe of frosting. ๐Ÿ™‚

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made a simple chocolate glaze for my heart cake, using a recipe from Epicurious (before the paywall) that uses powdered sugar, cocoa, milk, and vanilla. I poured/spread it in the indented center, then sprinkled with Valentine's decorations of little pink and white hearts and pink and white sprinkles.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I am starting on the Ginsberg Westphalian Pumpernickel recipe, using freshly ground coarse rye meal. Today I make the scald, tomorrow it goes in the oven for 24 hours, then it gets wrapped to age until Saturday.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I'll be interested to hear how that recipe turns out, Mike.

On Tuesday, I baked two loaves of my Pumpkin Rye Bread--a major adaptation of a Jane Brody recipe that makes it more wholegrain, a little less sweet, and replaces butter with oil and regular milk with buttermilk. I finally have room in the freezer for a second loaf. I have been doing single loaf recipes for the past few weeks.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The scald looks really dry to me, and that's the only water in the dough, tomorrow I add more rye flour and salt. There's no yeast in this recipe, but it is supposed to be really dense, and sliced as thin as you can.

I made it with freshly ground rye berries using the coarsest setting I can get from my Nutrimill. It may not be as coarse as the recipe assumes, and that's why it still looks so dry to me, even though I added more water than the recipe called for.

I will not be surprised if I have to add more water tomorrow to get it to come together. Ginsberg says it should be a 'glutinous mass'.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Glad you could salvage the cake BA. And with some creative frosting work no one will probably even notice the difference.

Mike I am anxious to see your rye bread. I saw a spoof on the Great German Baking contest where every week is bread week but I cannot seem to find it again.

I made two dozen scones. I over baked the second dozen but they are still being eaten. I meant to take a dozen to our florist but...

I need to make sandwich bread this week. I going to try something with oven heat they've been talking about over on the BBGA which is to start with a cooler oven to see if it gives me more oven spring.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I found a short video (18 seconds) that might be the spoof Aaron was referring to.

I'm about to go see what happens when I try to do the final dough stage of the Westphalian pumpernickel. (I've been involved in an issue for a client for most of the last 12 hours, I was up until 4 AM working on it.)

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I did wind up doing the final kneading of the Westphalian pumpernickel dough in two parts, there was really a noticeable change in the dough's appearance and feel after 20 minutes of kneading with a paddle. (That's supposed to break up the coarse meal a bit.)

Ginsberg calls it a 'glutinous mass' and that's a pretty apt description.

It is in the oven, 40 minutes at 300 and then 24 hours at 220. Will it be a brick at that point? Some of the posts on this recipe at freshloaf are not very encouraging, but my dough seems to be consistent with his descriptions so far, though I did wind up adding extra water to the scald yesterday.

Update: It's been in the oven for about 3 1/2 hours, and I'm starting to get some interesting aromas from the kitchen, probably from the amylase activity and the Maillard reaction. I'm not sure if I would have associated the smell with rye bread if I didn't know what I was making.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I hope this bread tastes as interesting as it smells while baking, I'm getting an odor now that is almost fruity sweet.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I wish we could all taste that bread Mike.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Wednesday. I will bake them sometime next week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.