What are you Baking the Week of August 21, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 21, 2022?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

There are a few days in the low 90's in the latest two week forecast, but it looks like the 100's are over. I see lows in the mid 60's or lower nearly every night. It's nice having the doors and windows open for a few hours in the morning and evening, at least until a neighbor fires up his outdoor wood fireplace and fills the air with wood smoke.

So I might not do a lot of baking until next week.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made a small pan of corn bread.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I made a peach coffee cake from Southern Living. A friend had given me 3 very ripe (read almost overripe) peaches that I needed to use. It looks good, but we haven't cut into it yet.

The recipe called for heavy cream but I only had half & half so I hope it's OK.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I made raspberry muffins, using raspberries we picked yesterday and froze individually on a cookie sheet. That worked well at keeping them mostly whole, instead of falling apart and being mushed.

cwcdesign
            Participant

The peach coffee cake is delicious! It’s definitely a keeper - the cake was tender and the streusel nice and crispy. I can see making it it with other fruits - blueberries, apples etc.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Tuesday, I baked whole grain squash quick bread using a yellow squash instead of a zucchini. I adapted the recipe from Ken Haedrich. I made five mini-loaves and froze three.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I baked three loaves of my Whole Wheat Oat Bran bread on Wednesday. Two go into the freezer, and the third is for immediate use tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I need to make another batch of cinnamon rolls, if I don't get it done tomorrow it will probably wait until Sunday or Monday, because Saturday is the start of the college football season, beginning with the Nebraska - Northwestern game in Dublin. (I have degrees from both schools.)

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The cinnamon rolls are rising and will go in the oven in another hour or so.

The cheese slicer method was not very successful, the wire doesn't quite cut all the way to the mat, so I wound up using a bench scraper like I usually do.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For the avid pizza bakers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/comics/brevity-by-dan-thompson/ss-AA117zdE?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=196fc313448fd8d212452a6b971a72dd

I never use bread flour in my pizza crust. I use some AP and the rest is semolina, durum, and rye.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Everybody's got advice on how to make the best pizza crust, and much of the advice is in direct conflict with advice from other sources.

My former neighbor, the Sysco executive, said high gluten flour is only good for bagels and pizza.

What flour to use probably depends on what type of pizza you like to make.

I've been moving towards lower gluten flour in my pizza dough for some time. We liked the pizza I did on the grill last weekend, which was a blend of KAF AP flour and BRM pastry flour, I'll be doing it again over the weekend.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Friday, I baked Zucchini Cinnamon Chip Bars, which I adapted from King Arthur's Zucchini Chocolate Chip Pecan Bars. I use the white whole wheat option, and I add 2 Tbs. each of milk powder and flax meal. I cut the salt by a third and the brown sugar by a third. The recipe is designed to be made completely in the food processor, beginning with processing the zucchini, egg, and oil until smooth, then adding the flour mixture, then 60 g cinnamon chips and oats. I do not like the food processor clean-up, so I instead mixed the brown sugar and oil in a bowl, then added the egg. I cut the zucchini into small pieces and processed it in my smaller processor (size is about right for a cup of oats) in two batches. That did not liquify it, but it broke it down into a coarse mixture. I added it to the liquid ingredients, then stirred in the wet ones. I did not add nuts. I bake in a 13x9-inch glass dish for 27 minutes. The soft, cakey bars are excellent.

I also made dough for my whole wheat sourdough cheese crackers. It will rest in the refrigerator until next week.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I have two version of the tangzhong cinnamon roll recipe that I tend to flip-flop between. The one I used today has egg in the dough, the King Arthur one does not. I think I like the one with egg better.

I wound up with 28 rolls in a 3/4 sheet pan, so they could spread out a bit, I think I like that style better than putting the same amount of dough in a half sheet pan and having them touch each other. This makes them a bit more like Chelsea buns.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

BA, for my pizza I started with all bread and then went to bread and whole wheat. Then pastry and whole wheat. Then I added flax meal and sometimes some chickpea flour. Now I am at whole wheat (I like white if it's not too expensive), pastry, flax, and some bread. I may try semolina in the next batch.

Violet and I made "tea" sandwich cookies. They were a little big for typical tea cookies. Each cookie was an ounce. Next time I'll make them a half ounce.

I made biscuits, Added the right amount of salt this time. I still had butter leaking despite a long chill in the fridge and the oven at 425 on convection (the recipe says 350). I may ping the baker before I bake the rest.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.