What are you Baking the Week of August 1, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 1, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet today. How about you?

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made Len's Wheat-Rye-Semolina Buns as bread, a double batch for 2 loaves.

BakerAunt
        Participant

To go with leftover soup for dinner, I baked the Scottish Style Scones (Barley) that I modified considerably from a recipe that appeared in a special Scotland issue of Bon Appetit. (The recipe is posted here at Nebraska Kitchen.) I used avocado rather than canola as the 1 Tbs. of oil this time. I baked the six and one small seventh one in the countertop convection oven. I put the rack to the middle position and did not lower the temperature. I baked for 15 minutes. While these will never be as light as a biscuit, they are a nice healthy alternative. I will have the two that are left for breakfast tomorrow with some of my jam.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Sunday evening, I baked my adaptation of Carole Walter’s “Blueberry Crumb Pie.” I used my buttermilk oil crust that I parbaked first. I have had some issues with the pie being too watery, so I added an extra tsp. of tapioca to the filling. (The blueberries we pick at a local farm have the most wonderful taste, but they also tend to have more water.) I used just ½ Tbs. of butter to dot the pie before adding the streusel, which I made with 1 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. avocado oil. I also used white whole wheat flour in the streusel. I experimented and baked at 375F convection rather than 400F regular oven. The pie is tented with foil for the first 45 minutes, then finished for ten minutes without to allow the streusel to brown.

Convection appears to have worked very well. When I removed the foil after 45 minutes, the pie only needed another 5 minutes, as it was bubbling, and the streusel was browned.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I baked the one layer chocolate cake today and made a chocolate icing.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We cut into the pie tonight, and no runniness, so the extra tapioca helped.

Today we picked almost ten pounds of blueberries. I washed them and am drying them on half-sheet pans lined with paper towels. Later tonight, I will put 4 cups to a bag and freeze them. We are expecting a visit from a blueberry pie fan in September.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For about five years, I have wanted to try the recipe for Oat Bran Bread in Peter Reinhart’s Brother Juniper’s Bread Book (pp.102-104). He developed it for an American Heart Association annual cooking demonstration, back when oat bran was the new healthy ingredient. I hesitated to try it because with 8 cups high gluten flour and 2 cups oat bran and ½ cup wheat bran, it is not a high fiber bread, and I prefer more wholegrains. On Tuesday, I decided to see if I could develop a more wholegrain version. I used four cups of Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat flour in place of that much of the bread flour. I replaced the wheat bran with flax meal. I used 1 cup high-gluten flour and needed just 2 cups of BRM bread flour instead of four. I reduced the honey, the yeast, and the salt. I doubled the buttermilk and reduced the water to compensate. The bread used a lot of yeast. I cut it to 4 ½ tsp. and I cut the honey to 5 Tbs. I reduced the salt by a third. The first rise took less than 45 minutes. The second rise was also fast at 35 minutes. (The house temperature is 76F.) The bread registered 193F after 43 minutes. These are two big loaves (9x5 pans). I will freeze one, and we will slice the other at lunch tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I baked a batch of my burger buns today. I had to open a new package of SAF Gold that I bought last summer. I usually don't buy yeast that ships during the warm summer months because I don't know how hot it gets in transit, so I was a little concerned. But of course I bought it last summer when it became available because of the yeast scarcity. I had no problems with it, as usually that stuff performed like a trooper.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Today I baked Chocolate Chip Cherry Bars, from Averie Cooks. They are very good, although the cherry flavor is not as intense as when they are eaten out of hand. But I had several pints of fresh cherries to use up. This is essentially a blondie, with chips and chopped cherries folded into the batter.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I did cornmeal strawberry spoonbread on Tuesday. I beat the egg whites and the egg yolks until stiff and then folded them into the batter. Probably not a good idea. It rose high when baked and then gradually collapsed. I gave the whole thing away to a friend who liked it, but I don't know what the texture was like. Also I used 8 oz of frozen strawberries mashed with sugar instead of sliced fresh strawberries.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I baked a new recipe for brownies.It used brown sugar and was for an 8x8.I liked it but I prefer my brownie a little thicker so I may try adding half more recipe next time.Recipe was from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.
                          Recipe was Chocolate brownies by Judy.I did add a half cup of mini chocolate chips to the top but didn't add any nuts.I liked them warm I'll see how they are tomorrow.They are fudgey not cakey.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Friday morning, I baked Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake from Jenny Can Cook. I substituted 1 cup of white whole wheat flour for that much AP flour and added 2 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder. I used buttermilk but still added the lemon juice. The loaf tested done at 55 minutes. I had to run a plastic spatula around the sides before removing it from the pan. Next time I will check it at 50 minutes, as the outside may have been a tad overdone. We sliced some for dessert tonight and enjoyed it, so I will bake this recipe again.

I also baked my healthier adaptation (less saturated fat, less salt, and more calcium) of the multigrain crackers from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Brownies were good today a little hard around edge but other ones were still good and fudgey.

chocomouse
                              Participant

That reminds me - I was at KAF yesterday and looked for the Lime Juice Powder. I had noticed it was not in the latest catalogue, or in the online store, so thought I'd better grab some more while I could. If I could! None on the shelves in the store, although plenty of the Lemon Juice Powder. So I asked. Yup, no longer carrying the lime juice. I need to google it for another source. I love the flavor they both impart. In my desire to have a strong flavor, I seem to overdue the lemon/lime oil, which then leaves a sharp, bitter taste.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

It is always irritating when a product on which we depend is discontinued, especially when we are not sure if anyone else carries it.

In honor of our eleventh wedding anniversary, I made my adaptation of KAF’s Whole Grain Baking Book’s Cornmeal-Rye Waffles. (I replace the butter with 1/3 cup canola oil and halve the salt.) for breakfast. We ate them with maple syrup combined with blueberry sauce leftover from the pie I baked earlier in the week

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.