What are you Cooking the week of April 12, 2020

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of April 12, 2020

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had baked BBQ chicken legs,baked sweet potato and creamed corn.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had BLT's tonight.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Friday. I usually use 170g of Stonyfield full-fat yogurt, but I am now out of it, and we are not driving to the next town to try and get it or anything else. I found Chobani Greek yogurt at the local grocery (it was even on sale), so I substituted it. My rule is to use a yogurt that has the live cultures and that doesn’t use additives to thicken the yogurt.

For Friday’s dinner, I made stir-fry using leftover turkey, soba noodles, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, and a bit of drippings left over from the turkey. We have enough for dinner tomorrow as well.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had spaghetti with meat and mushroom sauce, and cheese toast.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I had leftover pork roast with Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and brown rice.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed venison steak,rice and tomato gravy and dried lima beans.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made soup for lunch on Saturday, using leftover water from the potatoes I cooked on Sunday, and the rest of the drippings (with some meat) from the turkey we had. I started by sautéing some onion in a little olive oil, then added chopped carrots and celery. I added in the drippings, and some rosemary, before adding 1 cup of rinsed brown lentils, then the potato water, and finishing with minced parsley. I brought to a low boil, then simmered for 30 minutes. I added freshly ground pepper at the end. It still seemed to need something, so I added 1 tsp. cider vinegar, which balanced the flavors. The soup will provide me lunches that will last into next week.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Two days after having the biggest snowfall of the season (5-6 inches), we're supposed to hit the mid-70's this afternoon, so I'm doing burgers on the outdoor grill tonight.

Our grill is about 24 years old and is starting to show signs of age, the knob for the left set of burners won't turn (it was sticky last fall.) I'm not sure I've got the skills and tools to replace the control and I don't know if the place we bought it from is even doing repairs any more. It is wearing out in other places and probably should have new burners as well.

Right now spending money on a new grill isn't in the plans, though I did do some shopping around last fall to see what's out there. Our current grill has a separate rotisserie burner at the back, and I like using that for things like chickens and turkeys. I've done gyros meat on it a few times, too. Most of the grills don't have that feature, though Weber has an add-on kit.

If I was buying a new grill, I'd probably look for one that has better facilities for smoking meats, too.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had taco salad tonight.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.