What are you Cooking the week of April 12, 2020

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of April 12, 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Going to have deviled eggs, ham and potatoes au gratin for supper tonight, how about you?

We had a hailstorm at 5AM this morning, and there's snow in the forecast for later today.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I'm going to have an Easter pizza. I made the dough for it yesterday.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Easter pizza, the mind boggles!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I declared my celery and carrot vinegars done this weekend, the final pH on the celery vinegar was 3.2, the final pH on the carrot vinegar was 3.45. (Carrot juice is sweet enough that next time I might try the traditional two-stage process for making vinegar, first fermenting the carrot juice into alcohol then turning that into vinegar.)

In any event, I may get a refractometer to measure the process more precisely.

I'm going to let them settle for a day or two before I decide if I need to rack them to get rid of more sediment.

Looking forward to trying these in salads and recipes. I've got some nice bottles for them that I got at Hobby Lobby, and I'm going to print up some oval labels.

I'm thinking I may try an onion vinegar next. That's not one the Noma book suggests, but they do a black garlic balsamic vinegar, so alliums must work. This fall I may try a butternut squash vinegar. A cucumber vinegar is another possibility.

BakerAunt
            Participant

For Easter dinner, my husband roasted a 14 lb. turkey that we found at the market a few weeks ago for a good price. I put the Oxo silicone racks underneath it, and they kept the turkey above the liquid, and the clean-up was much easier than scrubbing a metal rack.

I made mashed potatoes and gravy from the turkey drippings. We microwaved frozen mixed vegetables to complete the meal.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I was going to bake chicken but my husband wanted pancakes and sausage,very different for Easter but it worked.I hope you all had a Happy Easter.The only thing we've been doing is riding down lots of dirt roads and seeing places we use to see riding the school bus,been fun.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight I baked chicken,macaroni and tomatoes and leftover green butter beans.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had a lavash pizza for supper.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a pizza, sausage and onion. I have enough dough for one more, so Tuesday's pizza will be the same. I'm really pleased with how this dough turned out, I used equal amounts (90 grams each) of semolina, rye, whole wheat and KA AP, hydrated at 66% plus just a little more as it was was kneading, 1/4 tsp of salt and yeast and a tsp of sugar and appr 2 tsp of olive oil.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I'm going to make an 8-quaart pot of Vegetable Beef Soup today. Because it'll be designed to make several meals, I'm going to use carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes, as usual. Plus, frozen corn and lima beans. I also use barley, but not much. As a child, I always liked the small amount of barley in Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup, so I use just enough barley in mine to give a few grains to each bowl of soup.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had reubens for supper.

It's a good thing the second (smaller) batch of sauerkraut is just about ready, because the first batch is almost all gone.

I've got a 4 gallon crock coming soon (UPS says tomorrow) and we bought 30 pounds of cabbage today, which should make a pretty big batch of kraut.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I had some leftover taco meat so I added some salsa and cheese heated together and made enchiladas on corn tortillas and just poured a can of enchilada sauce over them and topped them with cheese we had a small salad on the side.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Cool rainy day here so we had hamburger soup and I made pimento cheese.I didn't have the american cheese I like but had lots of sharp cheddar and I added about 4 oz. of cream cheese.It turned out nice and we have plenty for more sandwiches or just snacking on crackers.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Joan--Good innovation with the cheese! I have a feeling we are all going to become more creative before this health crisis ends.

We have been happily eating turkey since Sunday. On Monday and Tuesday, we still had mashed potatoes and gravy, but we varied the vegetables, with microwaved fresh broccoli the first night and mixed vegetables again the next. Tonight we again had turkey and the rest of the gravy and microwaved peas, but we had pierogis with them. Why pierogis? There was a large freezer case of bags of them at the local grocery, probably originally intended for commercial use. Monday was "Dyngus Day," a celebration on the day after Easter of Polish-American heritage, and it is a big deal in South Bend. Celebrations had to be canceled this year, so that is a lot of pierogis. I was pleased that a serving of four regular cheese has only 0.5g saturated fat. (We bypassed the 3-cheese one which is double, and the onion one because of my husband's current issue with onion). I haven't had pierogis in a long time, so it is a nice treat, and we have enough for a few more meals.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by BakerAunt.
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a pork roast and cubed and roasted a sweet potato and a few Brussels sprouts and a couple of cauliflower sections.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.