Very Easy Whole Wheat Focaccio or Pizza Crust

Home Forums Recipes Very Easy Whole Wheat Focaccio or Pizza Crust

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

Very Easy whole wheat focaccio or pizza crust
      This has been adapted from Yeasted Olive Oil Pastry from New York Times.

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast ( 1/4 teaspoon in the summer )
      1/2 cup lukewarm water
      1 large egg, at room temperature, beaten
      1/4 cup oil
      2 cups whole wheat flour sift before measuring, separated
      1 tablespoon potato flour optional
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      Note: more water or flour might be needed

1. Dissolve the yeast in the water, and allow to sit. Mix in about 1 cup flour or less to form a thick batter ( thicker than a pancake batter but still stirrable with a spoon ). Let it sit in a warm place until spongy and full of holes. This is called a sponge or a preferment. The water and yeast provides a medium for the yeast to grow.
      2. Mix the salt and the potato flour into the rest of the whole wheat flour. Beat the oil and egg into the sponge. Mix in the salt and flour mixture until the flour is just combined. Let the dough sit for 15 -30 minutes. This is the autolyse step where the flour absorbs the water. The potato flour is particularly good at absorbing water
      3. Knead the dough gently until the flour is completely mixed in. Add a little water if necessary. If the dough is very wet add just a little more flour. Put the dough back in the bowl and let it rise till double.
      4. Oil a 10 inch cast iron frying pan or a 9 inch cake pan. Pat the dough into the pan and let sit for 10 minutes or so. This is the bench rest step, waiting here lets the dough relax and be more manageable. Now press the dough flat until it fits the bottom of the pan. If you are planning on a pizza push the edges up the side like for a pie crust. If you want a focaccio you can let the dough stay in a more rounded shape. If you want sprinkle dry or fresh rosemary on top and press down lightly. If you are using fresh rosemary be generous, the herb will shrink during cooking.
      5. Cover and let rise again till double. I like medium and thick crust pizza, if you want a thinner one don't let the dough rise so much before baking.
      6. Preheat the oven to 350 or 400 degrees. Put some pizza toppings on the dough and bake till done about 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. If you are not making a pizza, bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until done

The original recipe was made by Martha Rose Shulman can be reached at martha-rose-shulman.com.
      June 22, 2009

Note: I mix the dough and let it rise in a metal mixing bowl. I provide a covered environment for the dough to rise by putting the whole thing in a medium size tupperware cake container with the cover on, and water in the bottom of the cake container. I do the final rise in a plastic underbed storage container with a jar of water to add moisture.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.