Troubleshooting popovers

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Troubleshooting popovers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

I have a friend trying to make popovers but they are not rising. Never having made popovers I have no idea what could go wrong. I did ask about his baking powder and he said it is about three months old so that should be okay.

What else can he check?

Thanks

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Whose recipe is he using that has baking powder? Steam and the eggs are usually the rising agents in popovers. I use the recipe in the King Arthur Baking Companion:

3 eggs (sometimes I use 4)
        1 1/2 cups milk (Usually 1%)
        6 1/4 ounces AP flour
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        4 TB unsalted butter (though I find 3 is sufficient in the batter, I use the 4th TB to grease the heated pan.)

Best to let it hydrate for an hour or so.

Maybe his oven isn't hot enough, for the mini-popover pan I do 20 minutes at 400 and then 20-22 minutes at 300.

I haven't tried to keto-friendly this recipe yet, at 11+ carbs/popover (12 mini popovers per recipe) that's probably desirable. Like potato chips, it's hard to eat just one popover.

navlys
        Participant

My sister in law gave me a recipe that calls for skim milk. I have it at home. They always come out good. I guess fat is not the problem for the keto diet.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I am not sure about his recipe. I will ask, including why he is using baking powder. Maybe I'll try making them with him.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.