Triticale Testing

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls Triticale Testing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Recently I was given around 8 pounds of triticale berries by the wheat researcher at the University of Nebraska.

Today I milled some of it and tried using it in place of whole wheat flour in Pain de Campagne (from BBA). The triticale made up a little over 10% of the flour in the bread.

I made baguettes using the regular Pain de Campagne dough and using the triticale dough.

triticale

Can you tell which was which?

Most of the sources I've seen for using triticale say you can substitute it for up to about 25% of the flour in a recipe. Above that and the bread starts to have structural issue due to the types of gluten proteins in triticale. (They aren't as strong as the ones in wheat.)

There's quite a bit of taste difference between the two. The one with the triticale has a somewhat more complex flavor, I get notes of vanilla and a nuttiness to it.

I've also seen sources that suggest you can use it in place of rye flour in rye bread recipes. It suspect it wouldn't taste anything like rye bread, though.

We're going to send some of the bread in to the professor who gave us the grain, I suspect he won't have any trouble telling which is which.

I will be doing some more tests with triticale, possibly including some flatbreads/crackers. I'm also curious to see if you can make pasta with it.

BTW, the triticale baguette is the one in back.

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

The one in the back is better looking my opinion.

RiversideLen
        Participant

They both look good to me.

BakerAunt
          Participant

They look the same to me.

Trying different grains and combinations of grains fascinates me, because I like to taste how the flavor profile changes.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It turns out the professor we got the triticale from is on the road, so he didn't get any of the test bread. I guess I'll just have to make more when he gets back. ๐Ÿ™‚

skeptic7
              Participant

Its a pity that your professor is missing the very first loaf. I'm quite sure the subsequent ones will be just as pretty.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.