Rye oh Rye!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Rye oh Rye!
      dachshundlady
      This is a great recipe. Of course, as usual, I tweak a bit: brown sugar for white, butter for shortening and add 2 Table KAF whole grain improver. Also increased by half to make 2 loaves.
      http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rye-beer-bread/

badge posted by: dachshundlady on September 09, 2013 at 7:22 am in Baking, yeast
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 12, 2013 at 6:50 am
      dachshundlady
      Went to Walgreens yesterday here in central NY State. $1.99 indeed. I bought four boxes. Thanks for the heads up. And for the record, I like the Grape Nuts bread even better than the Rye Beer Bread.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on September 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm
      frick
      Thank you, m'dear. Both computers are having aches and pains & I haven't been around much. Grrrr.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 11, 2013 at 6:46 am
      dachshundlady
      And frick, here is the link to the GrapeNuts Bread thread and recipe including my changes:
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/grapenuts-bread-0
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 11, 2013 at 6:42 am
      dachshundlady
      Frick, the recipe from Allrecipes is listed above
      And swirth, you subtract grams of fiber from grams of carb so that helps. And yes, it does stick to your ribs.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on September 11, 2013 at 6:37 am
      swirth
      Like bakeraunt, I like to let the Grape Nuts soak for a little while to soften.
      -
      We use some cereals for nibble-type snacks; our local IGA has lots of specials on name brand cereals 4/$ 10.00 and we load up then. These are not the largest sizes available but certainly worth that price. Husband likes oyster crackers and these cereals for snacks so I keep a good variety on hand for him...better than many other things he could snack on. His favorite is Honey Nut Cheerios...we even buy those in generics. I love Chocolate Chex and Chocolate Cheerios...all of these as dry snacks.
      -
      Calories and serving sizes may be important, but to me it's the fiber that counts because that's what keeps me feeling full and then I don't keep eating more of anything else to add lots more calories. Grape Nut rules here!
      -
      1/2 cup serving size of Grape Nuts has 7 grams of fiber
      -
      1 cup serving size Rice Chex has 1 gram fiber
      -
      So there's really no wonder that when I eat Grape Nuts I stay full for many hours...and those hours I'm not eating hundreds more calories.
      -
      Wish we lived near a Walgreen's...70 miles away for us one way.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on September 10, 2013 at 8:30 pm
      frick
      Beautiful bread. Maybe I'll try the Grape Nuts bread. My DH likes it quite well & we have some on hand. Where did you find the recipe?
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm
      dachshundlady
      Thanks for the tip. Will check our Walgreens.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: bakeraunt on September 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm
      bakeraunt
      I just bought a box of Grape Nuts so that I can try DL's recipe. It is on sale this week (selected Post cereals) at Walgreens for $1.99 a box, if you have their member card. I like Grape Nuts, but after I add the milk, I usually let it sit for a few minutes so that it is less crunchy.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on September 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Serving size is important, but so are calories.
      Grape Nuts: a serving is 1/2 cup = 58 grams, which is 210 calories, or 3.62 calories per gram.
      Wheat Chex: a serving is 3/4 cup = 47 grams, which is 160 calories or 3.40 calories per gram.
      But....
      Rice Chex: a serving is 1 cup = 27 grams, which is 100 calories or 3.7 calories per gram.
      I LOVE Rice Chex, I could eat an entire box as a snack!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm
      dachshundlady
      Bet those yogurts charge a premium for said grape nuts, swirth.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on September 10, 2013 at 11:25 am
      swirth
      If I recall correctly, 1/4 cup is the serving size of Grape Nuts...but I ate more than that. It always keeps me full for so much longer than other cereals...I've even added it to smoothies for more staying power. Some fancy yogurts come with a dab of Grape Nuts under a clear snap-on lid atop the yogurt foil.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 10, 2013 at 9:51 am
      dachshundlady
      All brand name cereals are ridiculously priced. But with Grape Nuts you are supposed to eat a smaller volume. It is LOADED with carbs. It is very good sprinkled on yogurt. I love the taste and texture. Prefer it before the milk sogs it.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on September 10, 2013 at 7:13 am
      swirth
      I LOVE Grape Nuts cereal and always have! It is so expensive we seldom buy it now; up until 2011, each summer they'd have a huge sale and it was 2/$ 4.00 for a special...believe me, we stocked up each year. I'd lay in a bunch of it and enjoyed having it so often at such bargain price. But this sale has not been going on for 3 summers.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on September 09, 2013 at 10:36 pm
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Gaines dog kibble isn't far off the mark, LOL! Actually I have no opinion about the flavor of GrapeNuts. I have no idea what they tasted like. It's the TEXTURE I can't stand. My mother went on a health food binge back before health food was cool and for months the only cereal in the house was either GrapeNuts or cream of wheat, and the only sugar was this horrible turbinado sugar that WOULD NOT DISSOLVE. So a bowl of cereal (Grapenuts) was like eating gravel with milk poured over it and sand in the bottom of the bowl ... *shudder*
      LOL!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 09, 2013 at 1:26 pm
      dachshundlady
      Thanks for praise (blush)
      Sorry that your DW doesn't like grapenuts. It has always been my favorite cereal. Even as a little kid. I used to pretend I was eating Gaines dog meal LOL!
      I bake my boules in heavy terra cotta saucers of flower pots. I lead test them and then season them with oil and a long oven baking.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: kathyfromkansas on September 09, 2013 at 12:21 pm
      kathyfromkansas
      Thanks for this post DLady I have been thinking about trying rye bread again. What did you bake the round loaf in?
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on September 09, 2013 at 11:57 am
      Mike Nolan
      Both of them look great. BTW, I tried the 'grape nuts' bread last week. I liked it, my wife says it tastes too much like Grape Nuts, which she doesn't like. Ah well.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 09, 2013 at 10:25 am
      KIDPIZZA
      D'LADY:
      Good morning. Mary~Ann I think you did a very very good job of baking rye bread recipe.
      Enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~KIDDO.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on September 09, 2013 at 8:46 am
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Pretty loaves, and I bet they're pretty good too!

GrapeNuts Bread
      dachshundlady
      I found this recipe in Donna German's Bread Machine Cookbook (bought it at thrift store for 99c). I subbed Malted Barley syrup for the sugar, added a little KAF Whole Grain Improver and added KAF Malted Wheat Flakes. I made the dough in the bread machine and then rose and baked in a terra cotta flower pot saucer. It is just delicious and has a nice crumb.

Grape Nuts Bread
      This makes a medium-size loaf.
      1 1/3 cups water
      3 tablespoons vegetable oil
      3 tablespoons malted barley syrup (or honey, maple syrup) or you can add a few Tablespoons of Malted Milk Powder into the flour. I do both.
      2 teaspoon salt
      1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal, dry
      3 cups bread flour
      2 teas vital wheat gluten or KAF Whole Grain Bread Improver
      1/3 cup KAF malted wheat flakes, opt.
      2 teaspoons yeast
      Use dough cycle. Add more flour or water as needed. At the end it should be tacky, not sticky. Cereal absorbs liquid as the machine kneads it. After first rise, form into loaf (I made a boule and placed it in a buttered round terra cotta pan).
      Let rise about 30 minutes and preheat oven to 350F
      Bake 35-45 til thunks or registers 190F on thermometer
      Tip out of pan and cool on rack
      badge posted by: dachshundlady on August 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 14, 2013 at 11:42 am
      dachshundlady
      Yes, the toast is great and would be even better with raisins. And I could still eat open face cheese sandwiches on raisin bread.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 14, 2013 at 10:37 am
      karen_noll
      Makes great toast, too!
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 14, 2013 at 3:49 am
      dachshundlady
      Ill have to try it with raisins. Sounds so good. All I brought this weekend was plum cake. I love the taste of cooked Italian plums
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on September 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm
      omaria
      DHL, you did not bring any of it ? My 2 loaves are very nice.The hump on the 3rd one turned out to be air. about 1 1/2 inch gap between the crust and the rest of the bread. I rolled the dough out, sprinkled the raisins and cranberries on the dough and rolled it up.Maybe my rolling up was not tight enough. But we ate 1 slice and the flavor is delicious.So it certainly will be eaten.LOL.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm
      dachshundlady
      Mmm, wish I had a loaf here in the motor home on my field trial weekend.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on September 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm
      omaria
      It turned into 3 loaves. The 2 went into 8x4 pans and the raisin one in a 9x5. The 2 look beautiful. The raisin bread has a camels hump in the middle of the loaf. That one is still in the oven. I wonder if it is just air or if there really is bread in the middle. We will see later I guess.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 13, 2013 at 2:52 pm
      karen_noll
      Great minds and all that! Mine is cooling as we speak. Had to run a quick errand when it came out of the oven, and when I came back, I could smell the bread as soon as I came off the elevator. Divine......
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on September 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm
      omaria
      I am making 2 of these loaves as we speak. Mixer is doing its merry dance. Set the timer for 6 minutes and will check the dough after that. Added 1 cup of starter along with the yeast. Most likely will add raisins and cranberries to one loaf. Used butter instead of oil and only 1 tbs. of honey. Am totally out of sweetener stuff except for sugar. Added another 4 minutes to the timer.(Timer is on the mixer, I like that ). I will let you know how it all turns out.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 13, 2013 at 6:34 am
      karen_noll
      Thanks!
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm
      dachshundlady
      I put 3 tablespoons in the bottom of the flour measuring cup and then fill with flour.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 12, 2013 at 7:17 am
      karen_noll
      Funny you should bring this up again. I just got Grape Nuts when I food shopped yesterday, printed out the recipe, and was planning on making it today. How much malted milk powder did you use?
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 12, 2013 at 6:52 am
      dachshundlady
      Passing on a tip from another thread. Grape Nuts nugget cereal is on sale this week (9/12/13) for $1.99 at Walgreens.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 30, 2013 at 8:04 am
      dachshundlady
      I made this again but left out the flakes and added malted milk powder. It is SUCH a great bread. Wonderful taste and terrific texture. Sliced the warm loaf and made a fried egg sandwich for supper with fresh salad. Perfect.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on August 18, 2013 at 11:12 am
      Mike Nolan
      Well, that's one way to deal with over-proofing. 🙂
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 18, 2013 at 6:55 am
      dachshundlady
      Sheryle, in my used copy the previous owner wrote "rose high and then fell- decrease applesauce by 1/3"
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Sheryle on August 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm
      Sheryle
      I have that cookbook, bought it when I got my first bread machine years ago. I've made serveral recipes from it, one of my favorites is the Applesauce Bread. Once the bread starts to get a little stale, it makes great french toast!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on August 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Looks like the copies I have of volume 1. (I bought a second copy though I still have the first one that is falling apart but stil has a number of notes I made on it.)
      Volumes 2-6 are, IMHO, not as interesting.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm
      dachshundlady
      The copyright says 1991 so it may be the old one. But I always adjust recipes anyway. I can tell by the feel with bread and what I posted is my version. If you try it, please do the same.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on August 17, 2013 at 8:05 am
      karen_noll
      Thanks for posting this, sounds great! I'll have to keep an eye out for that book. Seeing it in the photo reminds me that I have seen it around, so I'll keep looking. For anyone else looking to add this book to their library and are looking for a used copy, when I checked it out on Amazon, there was a warning about which version of this book was preferable. If you bought the original book (published prior to 2005), some reviewers had multiple failures following the recipes as written. The ingredient amounts underwent a huge revision for the 2005 edition and produced much better results. I can see by the cover of your book that you have the "good" version. I suspect the revisions had a lot to do with how newer bread machines work and changes to ingredients over the years, but it's good to know, anyway. The overwhelming opinion of most of the reviewers was resoundingly positive.
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 17, 2013 at 7:12 am
      dachshundlady
      I just posted the recipe I came up with under the pictures. As usual I altered the one in the cookbook. It makes GREAT toast. Some of you might like it sweeter. If you use sugar or brown sugar you would have to use less flour than with the syrups or honey. I just adjust as the machine kneads.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 17, 2013 at 3:06 am
      dachshundlady
      Mike I found your Austrian Malt Bread in this same cookbook. I almost used the Carnation malted milk powder in this bread and then opted for the stronger stuff. And I LOVE malted wheat flakes. Eat them right out of the bag.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on August 16, 2013 at 11:58 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Very nice looking bread. I'm in a bit of a rut here, aside from some GF bread I haven't tried a new bread recipe in months.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on August 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm
      omaria
      Just perfect looking bread. I made a loaf in the crockpot baking pan. It was a little pale on top so put it under the broiler for a few minutes. It was very good bread also. . But your crumb is just perfect.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: robinwaban on August 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm
      robinwaban
      That bread looks beautiful. I'm going shopping with you. I can't believe the bargains you find! I went to the Salvation Army and found nothing. Maybe I should look for yard sales.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Naughtysquirrel on August 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm
      Naughtysquirrel
      I'm not sure of my recipe's origin but I have made this a few times and like it...NS

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.