Rye Bread

Home Forums Recipes Rye Bread

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

This is my version of rye bread. In my opinion rye needs a sponge or starter, so you have to plan ahead but don't let that intimidate you, this is really pretty easy. When making buns I like the dough to be just a little wetter than when making a loaf. I make it using my stand mixer so that is how my instructions are.

Sponge

By weight, 7.5 ounces of medium or dark rye (ex. KAF Pumpernickel) or a mix of the two.

1.25 teaspoons of yeast

10.5 ounces of water, warm (if you're measuring by volume, that would be 10 ounces and one tablespoon)

Mix then cover and let ferment a minimum of overnight or up to three days at room temperature. Helpful tip, do this in the bowl that you will be mixing up the bread in to save the step of having to transfer it.

After the sponge has fermented for the required time, add the following

1 teaspoon salt (or up to 1 1/2 tsp)
        By weight, 2 ounces Whole Wheat flour
        8 ounces Bread Flour
        (if you prefer, you can just use 10 ounces Bread Flour)
        2 tablespoons Honey or Molasses
        2 tablespoons Oil(I use olive oil but you can use any oil you prefer, melted butter or shortening)
        Optional, 2 level tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten

Mix until it forms a dough, cover and let rest for 20 minutes (the rest time allows for full hydration and is beneficial)

Knead for 5 minutes, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. At this point the dough might appear to be too wet, avoid the temptation to add more flour, let time do it's magic and hydrate the grain.

Knead for 5 more minutes, if the dough still appears to be too wet, let rest another ten minutes and knead again for a couple of minutes.

Lightly oil your hands and form the dough into the shape you like (free form loaf, loaf pan or buns). Cover and let rise for about an hour (use your judgement).

While the dough is rising, preheat oven to 375.

Brush with an egg wash if desired. If baking a loaf, slash top right before putting in oven. Bake for about 40 minutes (ovens and bakeware vary so use your judgment).
        If baking buns, bake for about 16 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.