Pizza-Making ?

Home Forums Baking — Savory Pizza-Making ?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I love looking at someone doing that, but if I tried it in my kitchen, I'd get flour all over the place. Would it be worth the resulting mess? I was impressed at how smooth the dough was at the end, when at the beginning it seemed too wet to handle.

RiversideLen
      Participant

I guess it depends on what style of pizza you're making. My dough naturally degasses because I roll it out to a uniform thickness (thin).

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I wonder if when spinning pizza dough if you need to degas it first or if it just naturally degasses due to the spinning action? Not that I ever expect to spin pizza dough, I can't juggle, either. I wonder if my older son has tried spinning pizza dough, he's juggled for years and sometimes performs at Renaissance Fairs. (I asked him, he said 'not well'.)

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've tried the 'throw the dough against the counter' method a few times, it does create a little flour dust, but not too bad, I've actually had my mixer throw out more flour.

If you go to this site you'll find several pictures of me throwing bread dough while getting an Alexander Technique lesson (to improve my mechanics without stressing my body):
            Alexander Technique

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Enjoyed watching the video and seeing your pictures Mike but that's a lot of work throwing that dough,wow.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I've never tried the dough throw method but I'm not sure how I could not degas it when I cut it into smaller balls.

I've hand stretched dough in college and it degassed it but if the dough sat it would puff back up (on big nights we would roll out pizzas ahead to keep up with demand and they rose as they sat).

I used to hand stretch dough but it's less messy to roll it and most of my family actually prefers it without the big crust edge. I also don't let the dough rise once it's rolled.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I don't really care for that thick outer edge, either. But we like REALLY thin crust pizza, almost like a cracker crust, that's probably why we like lavash pizza so much.

Italiancook
                  Participant

When I started this thread in 2018, I called myself a fledgling pizza baker. I am still a fledgling in that I've made the KAF Now or Later pizza crust only 4 times, and one of their other recipes once. We like the Now or Later crust, and it must be the semolina in it. Today, I made a cheese pizza (mozzarella, romano, and parm-reggiano. It tasted delicious, but what I liked most was that it wasn't a big deal making it in my small kitchen. I've finally figured out a technique for shaping the dough on parchment (thank you, BakerAunt), baking it, adding ingredients, than baking again. And, where to put pan out of the oven and where to place the pizza for cutting. That's quite an accomplishment, given I didn't think I'd ever make pizza again after the first try.

My pizzas never look as great as Aaron's, but for a fledgling, I'm satisfied. So thanks to all who have posted here for your help with my questions. I may come back with other questions, but I know I'll receive expert responses. And, yes, I'm glad I persevered and didn't give up after my first attempt. The learning curve is an amazing truth.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I remember that first post -- I was so worried, you really sounded like you would NEVER, not EVER, try again!! I was afraid you were going to spend a life-time missing out on really good pizza! I'm so glad you got the help you needed to persevere. BakerAunt's advice is great - I trust her to not make suggestions if she has any doubts about whatever it is. And I support using semolina in pizza dough 100%! Hey, maybe we should celebrate with a virtual pizza party!!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Congratulations on your pizza making, Italian Cook! We are all beaming with pride. Nebraska Kitchen is the best place to find supportive bakers to help perfect skills, whether it's pizza or the bagels I plan to try one of these days.

Thank you, Chocomouse for the lovely compliment.

A virtual pizza party sounds like fun!

Italiancook
                        Participant

Thanks, chocomouse and BakerAunt for your encouraging words. I agree, a virtual pizza party sounds like fun.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

IC, as long as you're having fun that's all that matters. I remember one of the first pizzas I made for someone outside of the family as for a chef friend. I was having a rough dough night and the pizzas looked really wonky. But they tasted good - bread, sauce, and cheese - unless it's burned how can that taste bad?

I apologized for the shape and he smiled and said "they're artisan" and asked for more.

The more you do the more you'll figure out what you like and how to achieve it. Have fun - and it sounds like you are. There is enough stress in life, especially now.

And show us some pictures!

Italiancook
                            Participant

Sorry, Aaron, I wouldn't have the foggiest how to send a picture. I didn't buy a cell phone until I expected Covid-19 to come to my state. I have no idea how to take a picture with it. The loaf of French bread I made recently was so beautiful I wanted to take a picture of it. But we don't own a camera, and it didn't occur to me until the bread was half-eaten that I have a camera on my cell phone. But I'm not highly motivated to learn the phone. It calls; it texts, I'm satisfied.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

When I take pictures with my cell phone, I wind up emailing them to my gmail account so I can download them to my computer using a browser. Then I can edit them and post them here.

I think my Canon T6i takes better pictures most of the time, but standalone digital cameras may be an endangered species, most younger people don't want to have to fiddle with lenses and such.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I sympathize, Italian Cook. I actually need to replace my phone so that it works with the new network. My husband replaced his, but I was considering a different model, which he was unsure I should do, so I waited, and then came Covid-19.

My husband's phone takes nice pictures, but he hasn't been able to figure out how to get them from his phone to the computer, which seems to involve unlocking. His elder son was going to visit us this week and get us straightened out technologically--a feat to which my stepson was looking forward. However, with the pandemic, travel is out of the question, particularly as he has asthma. I keep telling my husband that at least one of us should have been tech-savvy.

I do have a camera, so I need to try that program Mike mentioned and see if I can get pictures to Nebraska kitchen. Possibly my husband and I can figure that out between us.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.