parsnips

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The wine teacher at UNL got to talking with my wife about parsnips and was probably somewhat surprised that we use them on a regular basis for chicken stock.

He then sent us this link to an article that compares a particular type of wine to parsnips and includes a recipe for parsnip apple coriander cumin soup, which I am tempted to try.

parsnips article

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

Looks like an interesting recipe. I enjoyed the article too. Thanks.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

With caramelized apples and parsnips, the soup might be on the sweet side. Might even classify as a dessert soup.

chocomouse
          Participant

Interesting article. I love parsnips. I no longer grow them in my garden, but when I did we left them all winter, covered with some mulch. We could pull back the mulch and dig up a few for dinner all winter long. We did have to dig all of them by mid-spring or the rain on the thawed ground would rot them. I usually roast them with winter squash, carrots, white and sweet potatoes, onion - all drizzled with a little oil and maple syrup.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Kimmell Orchards in Nebraska City (about 50 miles away) has winesaps available, I am probably going going there tomorrow to buy some plus some frozen cherries.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Winesaps are worth the 100-mile round trip.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I got a bushel of winesaps and 10 pounds of frozen Montmorency cherries today, took me a little over 2 hours round trip, including time in their store.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Mike, what do you do with the frozen cherries?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Use them for cherry pies, mostly. I've been buying them in pint containers at a local store, this bag should keep me in cherries for a while.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

As noted in this week's cooking thread, the parsnip soup was a disappointment.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm sending a cup of the parsnip-apple-coriander-cumin soup in with Diane for the wine teacher to try.

I have to say that it is better several days old and cold that it was the day I made it. The spices have mellowed and the parsnip-apple combination is the dominant flavor profile. I could actually see serving this as a cold soup appetizer now, at the right type of dinner party, possibly using less coriander and/or cumin.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I have never been able to appreciate cold soup. I know that many people do enjoy them, but for me, they just do not compute.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

There aren't a lot of soups that work as cold soups, but there are a few. There are some soups that work as cold soups but not as hot ones, for example, aspics, since the gelling is important to what makes it an aspic and that requires it be cold.

Soups with proteins in them generally don't work as cold soups, I think because the fats in them have an odd mouth feel when cold.

I've never tried a cold melon soup, but recipes for those seem to show up every summer.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The wine teacher told Diane the parsnip-apple-coriander-cumin soup was very good both cold and warm.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.