Meatless ‘Italian Beef’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Buona Beef, one of the chains in Chicago that features Italian Beef, has come out with a meatless version of it, using seitan, a wheat-gluten product.

It got a reasonable review from the Trib, they said it was better than several of the bland Italian Beef places they’ve visited. A little too salty and with too much oregano, but those aren’t serious flaws.

Don’t know if this link will work, and I’m dropping my Trib subscription at the end of the month because the price is tripling, but here goes:

Meatless Italian Beef

There’s a place in downtown Lincoln that is doing Italian Beef now, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. (I so seldom get to downtown anymore, especially since the Lied Center theatre productions got cancelled due to COVID-19.)

Spread the word
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •   
    •  
    •  
    •  
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I have no plans of trying fake beef.

aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I asked my brothers about this and they just responded “why?”

Mike – did you see the “Battle of the Joshes”?

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I saw the stories about the battle of the Joshes, before and after, sounds like they had fun. They’re already talking about doing it again next year.

As to the meatless Italian Beef, there is a certain amount of technical challenge to a food chemist in producing something that looks, feels and tastes like something else. Seitan (processed wheat gluten) is something that’s been around for a while, like bean paste and tofu.

The lab-grown beef is, well, just strange. I’m not convinced it is more planet-friendly than a field full of methane-producing cattle, though. But if they can grow a ribeye steak, someday they may be able to grow a replacement kidney, liver or heart.

Janiebakes
    Participant

“But if they can grow a ribeye steak, someday they may be able to grow a replacement kidney, liver or heart.”

That is an excellent point and one that I had never thought of.

cwcdesign
    Participant

Why don’t they just start with trying to make replacement organs?

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Did you start walking by running a marathon? Scientists call it ‘standing on the shoulders of giants’.

cwcdesign
    Participant

Good answer Mike – I’m not very patient sometimes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.