Maple Syrup Strawberry Shortcake

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Maple Syrup Strawberry Shortcake

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

Has anyone ever used maple syrup to make strawberry shortcake? I cannot decide if the flavors would blend. And if you think it would taste good, how would you make it?

I could mix the syrup into the whipped cream. Can you macerate the strawberries with liquid or do I need a solid sugar?

Thanks

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My thought is that each flavor is so wonderful, I would not want them in competition.

skeptic7
        Participant

I like brown sugar with strawberries. I don't think I've tried maple syrup. I made rather recently maple syrup pancakes -- with maple syrup in the batter -- which might be nice with strawberries. I ate it with fried apples.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I made strawberry shortcake. Or should it be shortcakes since the biscuits are individual servings.

I did not use any maple syrup for macerating the berries or in the whipped cream.

I did try a new biscuit recipe from Sun Street Breads in Minneapolis. Despite chilling the dough before baking the leaked butter. I thought I had the butter cut in pretty well but maybe not. I still have about a half recipe left so I'll cut these then chill them on sheet pans and see if they leak.

Writing this I realized I didn't use enough salt. The recipe calls for 2% and I used .2% so that explains why I thought they needed salt. I'll try to adjust that in the remaining dough I have too,

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Testing adding pictures...

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Yum, yum! Strawberry Shortcakes to go!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

When the butter leaks, it can be because the oven wasn't hot enough. For biscuits I'll sometimes pre-heat the oven to 25 degrees above the baking temperature, that way it is plenty hot when the biscuits go in. A very hot oven causes the outer surface to set quickly, which holds the butter in producing a softer interior.

I've been looking at shortcake molds and/or small Charlotte molds. Somewhere I have a 9" Charlotte mold, but I can't find it! But making the genoise as a sheet cake worked well. For a fancy plated dessert, I'd think about using a fluted ring to cut 3" circles of genoise.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Aaron I think you did a fine job!Looks good!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Some of the fast food chains sell desserts in a mason jar, I've always wondered if they're ones that can be reused for canning. I can buy pint jars for about $1 each, presumably they're paying less than that.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

These are jam jars. I started reusing them as drinking glasses and then started using them for strawberry shortcakes. It's good for individual servings, transport, and it's easier for someone like me, not good at decorating, to make it look nice.

I baked off the second batch of biscuits today and upped the temp per Mike's suggestion but I probably need to take it higher. The biscuits still leaked. My oven runs cool. I set it 375 with convection on. Next time I'll try 400.

skeptic7
                        Participant

Strawberry shortcakes look good. I have those jam jars too. If you were to buy mason jars look at wide mouth half pints -- just try to get them back afterwards. They are useful for a lot of things.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

FWIW, DVDLEE's biscuits recipe uses 450 degrees. Bisquick biscuits also use 450, though there's no butter in them, and 425 for their shortcake. Most sources recommend you use a lower setting if you have a convection oven, usually 25 degrees lower.

I'm not all that artistic, either, even frosting a cake is a challenge for me, decorating it is beyond my abilities.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Thanks Mike. The recipe said 375+convection but it's also a recipe from a bakery so their "375+convection" may be hotter than mine!

I'll definitely raise the heat next time.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Croissants are often started at 500 degrees, I think a large reason for that is to keep butter from leaking out.

One of these days I'm going to try a pizza at 500 with the convection cycle on. Modernist Pizza apparently suggests that if you don't have a baking steel. I'm looking at getting a new outdoor gas grill this season, the one I've had for 26 years is wearing out. I need to make sure it is big enough to hold my Bakerstone pizza oven with the lid closed, it doesn't quite fit with the lid closed in the current one.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

I bake pizza at or above 500 sometimes with convection and sometimes without. I turn it on and off based on how fast the top is cooking versus the crust.

After several weeks of par-baking I've stopped. I like the crust to absorb some of the top and I just cannot get that with docking. I may play with it some more in the future.

I think what I really want is one very hot shelf to cook the crust bottom fast, then move it to a cooler spot to let the top cook.

I heard Nathan interviewed and he said something about infrared cooking too. I can get that with my broiler but I haven't played with that yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.