Lincoln baker fighting cottage industry regulations

Home Forums General Discussions Lincoln baker fighting cottage industry regulations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Lincoln NE passed some cottage industry regulations that are stricter than state laws, and a Lincoln baker is suing over them.

See lincoln baker fighting cottage industry regs

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The story is interesting. Here in Indiana, bakers can only sell at farm stands or through the farmers market. Home delivery is not allowed.

Packaged baked goods must include a list of ingredients in descending order of weight and the notice "baked in an uninspected kitchen."

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

It's interesting because they can really only stop her from selling in Lincoln. She can sell outside the town. Likewise, CT can prevent me from selling in-state if I do not make things in an approved kitchen under the supervision of someone who is servsafe certified. But they cannot prevent me from selling across the border or stop people in home bakeries in other states from selling here.

I'm about 20 minutes from MA and I am exploring how much of my business would have to be in MA. I can setup the transactions there as well as setting up a post office box for mail and incorporate there too.

It's mostly an intellectual exercise at this point.

BakerAunt
          Participant

It's good to dream, Aaron!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My friend who has been thinking of opening a food truck for barbecue has pushed back his plans to at least 2022. He's on the low end of the seniority list at his job (a railroad mechanic) and they're said to be considering cutting back because of reduced rail traffic.

BakerAunt
              Participant

The article on King Arthur said that they had switched to trucks rather than rail in order to speed up transport. That increase may be reflected in the higher prices.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.