Happy Pi Day

Home Forums Baking โ€” Desserts Happy Pi Day

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today is Pi day (3/14). Any pies going in the oven? I might do some kind of hot water crust meat pie (probably chicken), I haven't done one of those in a while.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked an apple pie yesterday evening, so we will begin slicing it at lunch today.

chocomouse
        Participant

Going to make a raspberry pie here - berries from our garden last summer.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Sadly, no baking here until we get back in our own home.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I made this icebox lemon pie but put meringue on top and it turned just like my mom use to make.I'm one happy lady.The only thing I forgot to bake my graham cracker crust for 10 min but my mom never baked her crust so I knew it'd be ok.I cut it just awhile ago and it's perfect..not running out in the plate.Happy here.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Today's chicken pot pie, using Susan Purdy's hot water crust recipe:

IMG_0414

IMG_0415

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Mike I love chicken pot pie...yours looks very good.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

It was a little dry in the center, but I had made extra gravy and just put some on top.

Village Inn used to have a decent chicken pot pie, but they 'simplified' their menu during the pandemic and that was one of the things they dropped, along with my wife's favorite waffle combination. So, we've stopped going there.

Some notes on the recipe, mainly for me to remember for next time. ๐Ÿ™‚

I used a 9.25 inch deep dish glass pie pan.

I used 20 ounces of frozen boneless chicken breasts, diced and sauteed in butter
                    3 large potatoes (I actually used 4 but I think 3 would be better), diced
                    2 ribs of celery, diced
                    a handful of baby carrots, diced
                    about 8 ounces of frozen peas
                    1/2 medium onion, diced
                    2 cups of chicken stock (for the gravy)
                    1 recipe of hot water pastry (Susan Purdy's recipe, the version in the recipes section is scaled up by 50%), chilled for at least a half hour

Boil the potatoes to desired softness, save the water to add to the gravy.

Sautee the chicken in some butter (season with salt and pepper), then remove chicken and use the liquid to sautee the onions, celery and carrots until soft.

Make a roux with 3 tablespoons of butter and an equal amount of flour, then add the chicken stock and some of the potato water. Season with salt and pepper.

35 minutes in the oven at 425.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Mike, that pot pie looks real nice. I've never made one.

I didn't do anything special for Pi Day this year. It's interesting, if we expressed dates like most of the rest of the world, (day/month/year) there would be no Pi Day.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I prefer year-month-day because then the dates expressed as numbers (without the dashes) are in chronological order. That's why most computer databases store them that way, though they may have the option to display them in dd-mm-yyyy order or Mon dd, yyyy order.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

We also lose Star Wars Day! May the 4th be with you.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

The pie looks great! I think we will make a late, fruit pie this weekend. I took my pie dough out of the freezer too late for actual Pi Day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.