Expiration dates

Home Forums General Discussions Expiration dates

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

I purchased Ka Baker's special dry milk powder and Dough improver last year. (wanted to use up gift card) . I never opened either bag and I now notice they both have 6/27 expiration dates. My lemon powder has always expired. Do you think I should still use these?

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Something with a 6\27 expiration date is still good. Some of this depends on how it was stored, too. Storing things in the refrigerator or, better, the freezer, extends expiration.

See Len's bake with his expired SAF Gold.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have not had a problem with flours or special dry milk past the expiration dates. Baking powder would be another matter. I have not used the dough improver, so I have no idea about that one.

navlys
          Participant

Thanks! I think I'll freeze them and see what happens. We leave for Florida soon and will be back in 3 months!

RiversideLen
            Participant

I recently used a couple of cans of green beans that were more than a year past their expiration date. The cans were not bulged nor showed any signs of stress, the beans looked and smelled fine. While I try to use things within their expiration date, many things are fine past it.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Speaking of expiration dates, how long will brown butter last in the fridge?

I think what I'll start doing is browning a bunch, using some and freezing the rest.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I think brown butter can be refrigerated safely in an airtight container for at least 5 days, though some sources say two weeks, and it should keep several months in the freezer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.