Dishwashers

Home Forums General Discussions Dishwashers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I had a dishwasher repair person here. I told him I use my dishwasher at least once a day, twice a day on most days, and sometime three times a day. He was surprised. He said most people use their dishwasher only once a day.

Just curious -- how often do you use your dishwasher in a day?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My husband and I are unusual in that we do not have a mechanical dishwasher and do not want one. I have several sets of older dishes, and they will not tolerate dishwasher soaps that are designed to eat food residue off the dish. I also do not want to give up the cabinet space. My husband and I do the dishes by hand, and with only two of us here, it goes fast. Of course, if we have people over, there will be more dishes (sometimes a lot more!).

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We average less than a load a day, since there's just two of us now. I'm probably more inclined to hand-wash pots and pans, so that lowers the average some. When our younger son was still living with us, we probably averaged about a load a day, when our older son and his family are visiting we probably do two loads a day.

Of course when I do serious cooking (or as I call it, committing kitchen), I can create a couple loads of dirty pots. I made Boeuf Bourguignon on Sunday, with braised pearl onions, mushrooms, and spaetzle, so that takes at least 5 pans and several bowls, plus more bowls for the leftovers. The cast iron pot doesn't go in the dishwasher, everything else usually does.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Interesting... We do about a load a day - we're a family of five.

We hand wash pots and pans. I guess they are dishwasher safe but we still hand wash them.

I also hand wash most of our metal mixing bowls. Yes they can be put in the machine but dishwashers are not designed for bowls and I find it easier to just use my hands.

When we have people visiting we'll usually do two loads a day.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

As it's just my mother and I, we use the dishwasher about once or twice a year. Plus, with my mother's alzheimers, she likes the routine of handwashing dishes. She always interrupts the dishwasher's drying time so it's just easier to handwash.

cwcdesign
              Participant

With just two of us, we run it every 2 or 3 days - we wash the pots and pans and prep dishes by hand. You know I've been cooking up a storm when I pull out the dish rack instead of letting them dry on a towel.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Just two of us we usually run it every 3 days,all pots & pans & cast iron hand washed and dried.I usually wash up small things as I'm cooking.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Hmmm . . . your responses make me wonder what I do to run the dishwasher every day let alone more than once a day, but I do. Skillets and dutch ovens are the only items that are washed by hand. Thanks for your responses.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Italian Cook: Clearly you are cooking and baking more than the rest of us! (Make that your story and stick with it!)

Italiancook
                      Participant

I laughed out loud when I read your response, BakerAnut. Thanks for starting my day off the right way!

Seriously, I don't believe I cook or bake more than the rest of you. I don't know from where all these dirty dishes come. Knowing me, I'll probably create a log to record when I run the dishwasher and what's in it. I think the difference between y'all and myself is that I'm lazier -- I don't want to wash anything by hand that can safely be put in the dishwasher.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I've never enjoyed doing dishes. About a year or so ago when my dishwasher decided to retire and I was waiting for the new one to arrive I was surprised just how fast dishes pile up. I run mine about every 2 days but sometimes once a day if I have bulky pots in there. For what it's worth, a modern dishwasher is very stingy with water.

Italiancook
                          Participant

RiversideLen, I'm glad you mentioned water usage. I've always thought I'd use more water by doing the dishes by hand. My grandmother was a nurse, before dishwashers became a staple. She would not fill a sink with clear water for rinsing the dishes. She thought that put germs on the dishes. She washed them in a sink of soapy water then had me rinse them under running hot water over the other side of the sink. I always thought that wasted a lot of water. So when I made the decision to be a dishwasher fanatic, I told myself I'd save water. That probably wasn't true with the machines on the market in the early years of my homemaking, but I think it's true now.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

It probably does depend on dishwashing technique. My husband likes to run the water and use soap individually on dishes. (I do not like his method.) I use a small amount of hot soapy water in a dish pan and wash some dishes, then turn on the water (cold is fine) to rise them before putting them in a rack. When I'm baking, I try to work as I go, so that I'm not looking at an enormous pile by the end of the baking adventure.

Riverside Len: It's good to see you posting--perhaps taking out time from watching the Cubs?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

Thank you BakerAunt. I know I haven't been active here for a little while. Ah yes, the CUBS, it's been a wonderful season, actually the past two seasons. I thoroughly enjoyed the regular season but post season has me stressed, lol. I consider just getting to the World Series a major victory but I really want them to win it all. I have a sister in law in Toledo who used to live in Cleveland so naturally she is strong for the Tribe. In a few days one of us will be walking on air and the other will be bummed out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.