Daily Quiz for August 3, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for August 3, 2020

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

True or false: Rice wine vinegar needs to be refrigerated once it has been opened.

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for August 3, 2020]

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I got it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have never used rice vinegar, but I guessed correctly.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I have quite a few different vinegars on hand these days, including several different wine vinegars that my wife got from the wine professor at UNL. We like a red wine tarragon vinegar in devilled eggs, I've used Champagne vinegar when making mayonnaise.

Rice wine vinegar has a unique flavor profile, I think it is the missing link in sushi rice, just like parsnips are the missing link in chicken broth/soup.

I'm still figuring out what all I can do with the celery and carrot vinegars I made this spring. I gave up on the onion vinegar batch, though, after some discussion with Chef David Zilber I think the sulfur in onion juice interferes with the vinegaring process.

When the fall squashes start showing up, I'm going to try making some squash vinegar, the Noma book says it is very versatile.

Italiancook
            Participant

Even though I had a 50% chance of being right, I missed this. First, because I've never used this vinegar. Second, I'm inconsistent with how I store vinegar. I keep white and cider vinegar in the pantry. I refrigerate red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar.

cwcdesign
              Participant

It’s where I keep mine

skeptic7
                Participant

I have a very old bottle of tarragon vinegar I store in the refrigerator, but I don't refrigerate cider vinegar or white vinegar

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.