Daily Quiz for August 20, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for August 20, 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

{"questions":{"k3bvc":{"id":"k3bvc","mediaType":"image","answerType":"text","imageCredit":"","image":"","imageId":"","video":"","imagePlaceholder":"","imagePlaceholderId":"","title":"Although weighing
      [See the full post at: Daily Quiz for August 20, 2019]

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I think the biggest problem with measuring flour is you don't how it was measured in the recipe you are following. One of the things I like about KAF recipes is you can sort it for weight measurements.

skeptic7
        Participant

I'm old fashioned and sift the flour before measuring. This has other advantages than accurate measurements like preventing lumps and pieces of bran from entering the recipe.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Ah, yes, I knew this one, too!

A number of baking books these days tell you how the flour is measured. I don't like the "dip and level" because there can be so much variation. A friend of my stepdaughter, who majored in nutrition, had a class where they measured the flour in all these ways, then weighed it, in order to make the point about accuracy.

Skeptic--I know that Rose Birnbaum says that sifting (I can't recall if before or after measuring), helps separate the particles so that they combine more readily.

Brown sugar is more of a problem when the author says "lightly pack."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

I got this one.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I always weigh brown sugar, because you can get big holes in it even when you pack it down. The USDA food database says a cup of brown sugar is 145 grams (5.11 ounces) unpacked and 220 grams (7.76 ounces) packed, though a lot of sources use 7 ounces for a cup of packed brown sugar. (KAF's ingredients list says 7 1/2 ounces.)

Perhaps the biggest challenge with measuring cups is they're not very accurate. I have one '1 cup' measure that consistently give me at least 5 3/4 ounces of AP flour.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.