Brisket recipe

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Brisket recipe

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

Anyone have a good brisket recipe that does not involve a pressure cooker or a smoker? I have neither.

Braising or roasting would be good.

Thanks

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've tried several, they always seem to be really fatty and the meat doesn't slice well. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe the wrong cut of brisket?

I'll just buy some sliced corned beef at the deli for St. Patrick's day. (My wife doesn't like cooked cabbage anyway.)

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks Mike. I wasn't actually going to make corn beef. When I have made it I use the flat, not the tip and I trim off most of the fat (beyond what the butcher trims). For pastrami I'm told you leave the fat on because it keeps th emeat moist when it's smoked.

I also steam/braise corn beef instead of boiling.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The serious brisketeers I know say 12 or more hours of smoking is the only way to go, but that's not something I have the equipment or experience with.

I tried my hand at making Montreal Smoked Meat once (think 'pastrami with an attitude') if I ever got serious about it I'd want a real smoker.

rottiedogs
            Participant

Smoking a brisket will take at least 12 hours. You have to control the temperature to around 225-230 degrees and feed the fire every hour or so. But it is worth it in the end. A pork shoulder takes around 10 hours or so. I smoke each of them a couple of times a summer. It freezes very well since eating the whole thing is impossible. A nice surprise when it is freezing out to get a taste of summer from the freezer.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Thanks Rottie. I don't have a smoker and I am not sure I have the patience. A buddy down the street has one and I'm sure he would let me use it but this is for Passover and I'd like to roast it like my mom and the ladies did back when I was growing up.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I think some of the Traeger wood pellet systems have thermometer controls, so it adjusts the rate it feeds in pellets to keep the temperature more or less constant.

Whether you think burning pellets (which I think are basically compressed sawdust) is the same as wood is a separate issue.

There are also electric and gas smokers that have thermostatic controls. Opinions of them vary a lot, I gather. I know some people who basically devote many of their weekends to tending their meat smoker. I can think of better things to do.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Aaron--I do not know if you have found a brisket recipe that you like, but Smitten Kitchen had this one on today's weekly email:

navlys
                    Participant

This recipe looks good! I hesitate to use my slow cooker because even on low it cooks too fast. I would have to use my oven. Instead of upping the temperature requirements on slow cookers for health requirements and destroying their whole purpose why don’t they just put a “use at your own risk” warning? My old slow cookers worked fine and I never had any health issues using them.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Thanks BA. I had come to some of this on my own looking at a bunch of different recipes. I was going to us some of the techniques I use to make carnitas/pulled pork which is to brown the meat in my Dutch oven, pour off the fat, toss in some veggies, and cook in the oven covered at about 200-250 for a couple hours until it's fork tender. We don't have a slow cooker so I use my Dutch oven and oven as a substitute.

I cut the pork in carnitas into large chunks but I leave the brisket whole.

We made matzah at religious school a couple weeks ago and of the 10 moms there were about 15 different suggestions. There is one other dad but I don't think he cooks or bakes much so he did not offer any advice.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've seen some recipes for doing a brisket sous vide. I haven't done a lot of sous vide, my older son does it a lot, but I don't know if he's done a brisket yet.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

David says he hasn't done a brisket sous vide yet, but says there's a good article on sous vide brisket on the Serious Eats site.

See https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe

He said he did a prime rib sous vide for Easter, he did one for us on Christmas, it was pretty good but the key to prime rib is the spice rub, and I'd probably do a different blend than he does. (But I think he usually uses garlic and he left that off because of my wife's sensitivity to it.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.