Bob of Bob’s Red Mill Died

Home Forums General Discussions Bob of Bob’s Red Mill Died

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Here is a link to the article in the Washington Post. I copied a link they let me share, so you should be able to read it
      https://wapo.st/3HZP9BG

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

He had a long and productive life, and who of us could ask for more.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Bob Moore, founder of the Bob's Red Mill company, has passed away. I first discovered the BRM flours when I needed dark rye flour for my Limpa bread. It was so much better than the rye flour that I found in the stores. Gradually, I began using more BRM products, as they often had flours, beans, grains, seeds, nuts, and dried fruits that I could not find elsewhere. I exclusively use their whole wheat flour, which I think has a slightly sweeter taste and works better than the King Arthur whole wheat.

I have been somewhat disappointed in the company in the last few years, as it stopped carrying some products important to me: the ivory (white whole wheat) flour, the barley flour, the unhulled sesame seed, the dried apples, the dried cherries. I am sometimes irritated by too much of a focus on the gluten-free crowd, but King Arthur does that also. However, Bob Moore's focus on wholegrains greatly influenced my baking.

https://pdx.eater.com/2024/2/12/24070041/bob-moore-bobs-red-mill-death-obituary?ueid=c2ffcf78ce760c4feca3d04b80fdc8a1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Eater%20National%20-%2002/12/2024&utm_term=Eater%20Today

BakerAunt
          Participant

I started a separate thread before I saw this one. Next time, I will read current posts before I post.

Thanks for fixing my mistake, Mike, by moving my post to this thread.

chocomouse
            Participant

I also keep a good supply of BRM flours and grains on hand for my baking needs. I like that I can find a good selection of so many of the products in most grocery stores.

navlys
              Participant

I just read about Bob's passing. Hope he was ok with how his brand is doing. I would love to know what % of the population has celiac disease. The age group of those who do would also be interesting. Because I am not affected by gluten I cannot sympathize properly with those that are.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The Celiac Disease Foundation says as many as 1 in 100 people worldwide have celiac, but only 30% have been identified as having it.

There are other wheat-related allergies, some people get diagnosed with celiac when they have some other wheat allergy, though I don't know if that makes much difference in how to live with a wheat allergy. But at least these days doctors are more willing to diagnose food allergies.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.