Sat. Oct 3rd, 2026

skeptic7

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,353 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Daily Quiz for June 7, 2019 #16481
    skeptic7
    Participant

      I did too but that was a lucky guess.

      in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 2, 2019? #16480
      skeptic7
      Participant

        I made a cheese pizza last night. The main difference is that I used white whole wheat flour instead of regular whole wheat flour. The dough was rougher and not as smooth or bouncy. I don't think it rose as well either. The pizza had a milder flavor than a regular whole wheat pizza and was slightly more dense. I used about 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce on it.
        Today I am making pumpkin whole grain bread, mainly taken from the KAF recipe. I plan to bring it to a party where the hostess is diabetic so I left out the sugar and used all whole wheat flour. I also kneaded in a little over 1 cup of Cabot Sharp cheddar cheese cut in 1/3 inch cubes. I'm going to try baking it in a crockpot on high for 3 hours. This is the second time I've done this but last time I baked it in a crockpot on low for about 8 hours.

        Aaron, thanks for the information about your pizzas. How do you manage 5-6 pizzas for one meal? Its all I can do to cook one pizza. I think I could make 2 at a time if I pushed it but thats about it. Does each teenager need their own pizza?

        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 2, 2019? #16463
        skeptic7
        Participant

          I just did a fairly plain whole wheat quick bread, with only 1/4 cup of honey for flavor and sweetness. I made it to eat with strawberries instead of a shortcake. Its very boring but that was sort of what I was aiming for.

          in reply to: Daily Quiz for June 6, 2019 #16462
          skeptic7
          Participant

            I did too, I saw a vanilla plant once in Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania

            in reply to: Medical journal article on sodium in diet #16440
            skeptic7
            Participant

              Mike;
              Are you still doing the low-sodium diet? How is that going? I can see that knowing exact amount of sodium needed would be important for people on a restricted diet, but in the real world most people get far too much salt.

              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 2, 2019? #16436
              skeptic7
              Participant

                I did a whole wheat cheese pizza with jarred pizza sauce. How much pizza sauce do you put on a pizza about 12 inches across. I kept an eye on it and I found that I used 2 - 3 tablespoons. Enough for a bit of flavor and salt, but not enough to be messy.

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 31, 2019 #16388
                skeptic7
                Participant

                  I messed this up.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the week of May 26, 2019 #16386
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

                    The Granola looks great! I used to do granola, but I haven't for a long time. this tempts me to start again. I used to do mine in the crockpot.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of May 26, 2019? #16374
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

                      I did Vietnamese Beef stew in the slow cooker on Wednesday. I got up early in the morning when it was still cool to get this prepared and in the slow cooker. I had wanted to cook it over the weekend but it was far too hot. I had to do quite a bit of substitution -- I had no fresh orange peel so I used candied orange peel and left out the sugar. I put in three small carrots and a turnip instead of two large carrots. One can of diced tomatoes instead of a fresh tomato. One small onion and some garlic instead of half a large onion. Then I cooked it on low for about 12 hours. came out very tasty. I could have put in another turnips. Stews are so wonderfully forgiving about substitutions and adding more ingredients.
                      I ate this with stir fried Chinese Cabbage and Rice. Its a very spicy dish but its suppose to be eaten with bland noodles and greens.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of May 26, 2019 #16367
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

                        On Tuesday it was very hot here, Washington DC area, I made orange-cranberry quick bread and cooked it in the slow cooker about 2 1/2 hours. It was about 195 degrees and thoroughly cooked when I took it out.
                        The texture and height were okay, a little moister than baking in the oven.
                        I also baked a cheese pizza at 10:00 at night -- it was still rather hot but I really wanted to eat the pizza. I had mozzarella and provolone on the pizza.

                        in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 27, 2019 #16299
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

                          Brownies only last for two hours at room temperature if the humans are safely locked up!

                          in reply to: The 2019 Gardens #16298
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

                            Most of my Rosemary survived the winter. I had three small plants indoors as insurance. I gave the youngest away and planted the others in the ground. They were fine living in a pot over the previous summer but weren't thriving over the winter, I think they were root bound.
                            The Chinese chives were doing great March-April but now many of them are dying. This looks root rot due to the rain and bad drainage. I had a similiar problem two years ago and hope that these will recover eventually. Also the chives are covered with small black insects.
                            The Amaryllis went outside about three weeks ago and are doing fine so far.

                            in reply to: Happy Birthday S. Wirth! #16276
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

                              Happy Birthday!

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of May 19, 2019? #16275
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

                                I called up a friend to whine about my ceiling. He had a comforting matter of fact attitude toward the hole -- things happen -- ceilings are often fragile -- you should have seen my hole. He also told me how to fix this and why my proposed method -- drywall clips -- wouldn't work well. However he also admitted that he personally hated drywall and working with it and fixing holes and had called in expert help to deal with his ceiling problem.
                                It was nice to hear from a friend who didn't think "BIG DISASTER" "Careless stupidity", but more "poor you, that is going to be messy. Its a irritating fix not a disaster. Common mishap"

                                in reply to: Chocomouse’s Breakfast Cookies #16274
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

                                  I like this! It has much less fat than the King Arthur Flour Breakfast cookies. I'll have to try this when I have time. Thanks for sharing.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,353 total)