What are you baking the week of September 30, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of September 30, 2018?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I may try to make banana nut muffins today, I've got some older bananas to use up.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sunday has been a major baking day. We are attending my husband's family reunion this week, so I baking for that. I baked the Rye Crisps this afternoon, following the recipe that I have posted at Nebraska Kitchen. These are low in saturated fat. The recipe makes about 92, so that would be .119 per cracker.

I baked a new recipe, Pumpkin Espresso Bundt Cake from KAF. I made two minor changes: I substituted ¼ cup buttermilk for ¼ cup of the oil, thus reducing the oil to ½ cup, and I added ¼ cup powdered milk. I used THE Grease to coat the 10 cup “Elegant Party” Bundt pan. (It’s the one that has the ribs that can be cut for 20 slices.) I baked it for 55 minutes, since the pan is deeper than most Bundt pans of that size. The cake filled the pan nicely.

I baked a version of Antilope’s Vienna Bread Baguettes. As usual, I incorporated whole grains, so the flour mix was 1 cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup white whole wheat flour, ½ cup medium rye flour, 2 Tbs. flax meal, and 2 cups plus 3 Tbs. bread flour. I used olive oil as specified, but I substituted 3 Tbs. honey for the 4 Tbs. sugar. I used 2 tbs. special dried milk. I used ½ cup water to proof the yeast and 9 oz. buttermilk. I reduced the salt to 1 ¾ tsp. I used the stand mixer to mix the whole grains and a cup of the bread flour first with the proofed yeast and buttermilk. I let it rest for 15 minutes, then I added the olive oil. (Cass once told me that it is better to give the yeast some time before adding oil.) After I’d mixed it in, I then mixed in the rest of the bread flour with the salt, starting with the additional cup; I needed 3 Tbs. more. I kneaded for 4 minutes, pulled a windowpane, then put it in a dough bucket to rise. (I've just started experimenting with dough buckets. I got this small one for 50 cents at the local thrift shop.) I made it as 3 baguettes, using my baguette pan. They baked in 20 minutes. I probably should have made them a little longer and skinnier, as the sides touched and baked together slightly.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Monday morning, I baked the KAF Golden Semolina Bread. My only change was to reduce the salt to 1 ¾ tsp. Although KAF says it is a no-knead bread, I used the dough cycle of my bread machine to make it, then let it rise in a rising bucket coated with olive oil. That took about 50 minutes. I de-gassed it (it has a lot!), and shaped it into a ball and let rest, covered for 5 minutes. I then popped some more bubbles and shaped it again into a ball, before placing it in a greased 8-inch USA cake pan for the second rise. That rise took about 45 minutes. I baked it for 28 minutes, then took it out of the pan and put it directly on the rack in the turned off oven for 2 minutes more. My husband’s family reunion begins this evening, and a “crusty bread” was requested to go with tonight’s main dish.

chocomouse
          Participant

Yesterday I made whole wheat bread. Today I had planned to make Mini Apple Pie Bites (using home-made dough instead of Pillsbury crescent roll pop-open dough) but I got involved cleaning out old paperwork in my file cabinet, so the baking will wait until tomorrow.

skeptic7
            Participant

I did Pumpkin Gingerbread, by using my favorite pumpkin quick bread and adding 1/4 cup of finely chopped candied ginger and 1 teaspoon ginger powder with 1 teaspoon cinnamon ( normal ) and 1/2 tsp allspice. I sweetened this with 1/4 cup honey instead of molasses as I was afraid the molasses flavor would drown the pumpkin. Tasted nice.

BakerAunt;
              I read about the KAF Golden Semolina bread and it looked interesting. I can't see why they advertised it as a "No Knead" bread when it is kneaded in a mixer or bread machine in the recipe. As a person who kneads or doesn't knead by hand this seems like false advertising.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Skeptic--At least one other person who rated the recipe agrees with us that the Golden Semolina Bread is not a no-knead recipe. KAF says to mix it with the paddle for 8-10 minutes. It's a heavy dough. Before I had my stand mixer, I tried it with the "kneading hooks" that came with my hand mixer. [Note: those kneading hooks are not useful.] Although that hand mixer has pretty good power, it is no match for that dough. It is a thick, sticky dough, and a bread machine or stand mixer is needed. I got a wonderful rise by kneading it in the bread machine, and I would do it again.

The bread was very well received by my husband's cousins, with only a single slice left, and it was still good the next day when I ate that slice. I have figured out that my husband's cousins seem to prefer a white bread, so I will be sure to bring it again to our next reunion. The whole grain baguettes that I baked, using Antilope's recipe as my base, are mostly being eaten by my husband and me. That's ok. I needed to be sure I had a healthy bread for this four day reunion that has, alas, not been as low in saturated fat as what I have eaten in the five weeks prior.

I recommend the KAF Pumpkin Espresso Cake--especially with the modifications I made. It has stayed nicely moist, and it does not need the glaze at all.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The McGinnis Sisters grocery stores in the Pittsburgh area make a semolina bread that is fantastic, I've tried a number of times to duplicate the recipe, but haven't come close yet.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Yesterday I baked an apple crumble.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.