Adjusting Another Bernard Clayton Bread Recipe

Home Forums General Discussions Adjusting Another Bernard Clayton Bread Recipe

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

In my web surfing, I also found this tribute to Bernard Clayton:

http://www.notyourmotherscookbook.com/bernard-clayton-breadmaker-1916-2011/

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Yeah, a lot of whole grain breads are really dense, which is why the Pepperidge Farms loaves are sliced so thin.

Peter Reinhart has a recipe in his whole grains book for Broom Bread, that sometimes comes out fairly light but not always, and I'm not at all sure why.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Bernard Clayton's Dark Grains Bread comes out light, in spite of being about 70% whole grain--buckwheat flour, rye flour, wheat germ, whole wheat flour. I had hoped this one would also be light, but clearly, it is not meant to be. I think that the millet is the element that moves it toward heavy.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Darn it, my husband really likes the flavor and wants me to try baking it again. (He and the dog consumed half of the second loaf today.) I might try it in three 7-inch pans I have.

skeptic7
            Participant

I'm glad your husband and your dog appreciates the bread. Perhaps you could slice it thinly, and bake it again to make crackers for your dog? I'm sure it would be healthy for him.
              Let us know how your next attempt comes out.
              Do you have bone shaped cookie cutters so you can bake doggie biscuits?

BakerAunt
              Participant

I do somewhere have a bone-shaped dog biscuit cutter. I used to bake dog biscuits for my sister's dog before he went on a special diet. It was a more complicated recipe, so I only made them twice.

I've been looking for a recipe for our current dog, but so far, I've not found an acceptable one that does not include stuff (like cinnamon) that I do not want to feed her.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.