What are you cooking the week of Sep 23, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of Sep 23, 2018?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

A made lasagna yesterday with roasted slices of eggplant in it.

skeptic7
      Participant

On Friday the 28th, I made KAF Whole Grain Pumpkin bread with some changes. I left out the sugar and used 4 cups of whole wheat flour, and 2 tablespoons of potato flour. I also used 1 1/2 tbsp of oil instead of 1 tablespoon of oil. The water was increased to 3/4 cup water.
        I mixed everything together Friday morning but didn't have time to do very much with it so I kneaded it a little bit, formed it into a ball and refrigerated it. I took it out of the refrigerator on Friday night and let it sit. I then cut up 1 cup of sharp Vermont cheddar cheese into small but not tiny cubes. Possibly 1/3 inch square. If the cheese is too small it melts into the dough, too large and it doesn't melt at all and is harder to knead in. I wanted it large enough to form cheese lined holes in the finished bread. I knead the bread dough a bit, which was hard as it was still cold. I did my best to knead thoroughly Eventually I rolled it out and then kneaded it to gether. Rolled it out a bit more and put most of the cheese on and rolled it up. Then I rolled it out, put the rest of the cheese on, and rolled it up and kneaded some more.
        I eventually formed it into a round ball, but in my covered crockpot cake N bread Pan, put that in the round crockpot and baked it on low for about 4 hours. It was late and I was tired. This actually worked. At 4:30 am or so, I took out the bread and it was cooked, not burnt and 190 degrees. I let it cool until a reasonable hour, and then sliced it up and took it to an event.
        This was well received, particularly by the person I had in mind. She is diabetic and can't eat sugar but likes whole wheat fancy breads. She shouldn't eat too many carbs as a rule but the whole grain breads are the best of a bad option.
        I was worried that cheddar cheese and pumpkin might not be a good combination but they worked well.

skeptic7
        Participant

oops. I should have put the last in the baking thread.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.