Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 8, 2024? #44948
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I took a piece of rotisserie chicken out of the freezer and warmed it up in pasta sauce with broccoli and roasted some small red potatoes.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 8, 2024? #44945
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        Yesterday I made a batch of sandwich/burger buns.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 8, 2024? #44936
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I took a chicken thigh out of the freezer, chopped up some veggies, opened a box of unsalted chicken broth and made chicken veg soup. Had it with a burger.

          burger-n-soup

          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          in reply to: Marliss & Scott coming to visit me! #44935
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            That's great, I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves!

            in reply to: refrigerator issues again #44919
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              It's very frustrating when important appliances go on strike. I hope the repair is relatively easy.

              in reply to: Shrinkflation continues #44891
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Shrinkflation has hit the olive oil industry. My last previous purchase was a one liter bottle, today's purchase has shrunk to 750 ml, that's a reduction of 250 ml. Did the price go down to reflect the new size? Nope, I'm pretty sure it's higher ($15.49) than the old price.

                Olive-Oil

                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44878
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I had chicken vegetable soup and a cheeseburger.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44874
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I build my pizza on parchment paper. That makes it easy to slide onto the peel. Then I wiggle the entire thing (with the parchment) onto the baking stone. I set a timer for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes I slide the peel under the pizza to hold it in place and used a gloved hand to pull out the parchment. The pizza finishes directly on the stone. This procedure works best with a steel peel.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44870
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      I had some leftover pork roast that I pulled from the freezer, rice and brussels sprouts.

                      That's a nice looking pizza, Mike.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44865
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Thanks, everyone! Joan, you can have a slice but you better hurry.

                        BA, I have occasionally par cooked the apples too. I saw an Alton Brown episode where he did that in order to prevent the top crust from doming.

                        That's a good idea about having a pie thread.

                        Today I'm making a batch of semolina/rye/wheat rolls.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44848
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          It's out of the oven. I'm glad I baked it on a sheet pan.

                          apple-pie

                          Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44843
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I am making an apple pie, it is in the oven right now and the house smells devine!

                            There are some Martha Stewart holiday videos streaming on FreeVee (I think also Amazon Prime as FreeVee will be shut down and the content is moving over to Amazon). One of them concerns pies, one being an apple pie. I took some advice from her. I let the apples macerate and then poured the juice into a saucier. I previously boiled down a cup of apple cider to a little less than a 1/4 cup and added the juices from the apples to it. That was about 3/4 liquid total. Then I added a 1/4 flour to it and whisked it over medium heat until it was smooth and thickened, then added it to the apples. I made a lattice top and brushed it with milk (I think that's a Jenny Can Cook tip, Martha uses an egg wash) and sprinkled it with maple sugar.

                            I used 2 pounds of Gala apples, which seems to be the right amount for my pie plate and used store bought refrigerated pie dough (the Amazon brand), the kind that you roll out. Seasoned with cinnamon, a touch of fresh grated nutmeg and allspice. Used a half cup of sugar. I left the skins on the apples.

                            Apple-Pi

                            I plan to post another pic when it is done.

                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 1, 2024? #44839
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I had a late lunch (burger) so I just had chicken veg soup for dinner.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 24, 2024? #44838
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                Thanks, Joan, BA, ItalianCook!

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 24, 2024? #44815
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  Mike, I haven't. I've seen a few youtube videos on it, I might try it sometime.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 2,650 total)