Fri. Oct 9th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 8,098 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Special Dry Milk #48271
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      When I ran out of the baker's dry milk last year, I just bought some from Bob's Red Mill. Seems to work just fine.

      I think what you don't want is the big box of Carnation, because it's very granular and IMHO smells awful. (And I don't even want to think about the taste!)

      in reply to: Kitchen remodel #48270
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        Stainless steel pans are not always compatible with induction, if a magnet sticks to the bottom, you're good.

        If you're redoing cabinets, we did two things with all of our lower cabinets. First, the shelves all pull out. Second, there's a drawer at the top of every cabinet and it has a pullout surface that you can use as extra counter space for unloading groceries, as a work surface, etc. The countertops on the lower cabinets are at several different heights, since my wife is shorter than I am. Some of the countertops are butcher block, some are granite. One thing I wish we had was a stainless steel countertop next to a sink for easy cleanup when you do something messy, like cut up a chicken.

        in reply to: Special Dry Milk #48267
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          Try The Prepared Pantry website, but their delivery charges are high.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48254
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I can't figure out what you're doing wrong, can you email a photo to me so I can check its size?

            nolan at tssi dot com

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48249
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              The forecasted lows for Lincoln NE for this week include sub-zero temperatures and a high of 4 on Friday!

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48247
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                We had hot dogs while watching the Miami-Indiana championship game.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48244
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  The time differences between underproofed, fully proofed and overproofed are not that large, and environmental factors (proofing temp, humidity and barometric pressure) all have their own impact.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48238
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I always aim for an internal temperature of at least 200, even on recipes that recommend a lower temp.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48224
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I picked 3 nice tomatoes yesterday, so we'll have tuna melts for supper.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48222
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I made a pot of potato leek soup.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48221
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I made Austrian Malt Bread, half of which I cut up for croutons.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48218
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Not sure why it's failing maybe they're too large, so I increased the maximum image size.

                            If it still fails, try emailing me the image (nolan at tssi.com)

                            We had meatloaf again, just one slice left.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48215
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I've put black beans in meatloaf a few times, but the current recipe seems to be the one my wife likes best.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48210
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                We had salad for supper.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 11, 2026? #48208
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  My meat loaf recipe is very simple:

                                  2 pounds of ground beef
                                  1 egg
                                  3/4 cup rolled oats
                                  1 can mushrooms, chopped
                                  about a cup of cheese, plus more to sprinkle on top later on
                                  Some kind of tomato product such as ketchup or tomato paste. Recently I've been using the tomato relish that I made from last year's tomato crop (tomatoes, red peppers, onions, sugar, salt, vinegar) it works great in a meatloaf, a half-cup of salsa would probably work well, too.
                                  Salt and pepper to taste.

                                  Mix it thoroughly, put it in a 9 inch loaf pan and bake it at 350 for about an hour or until it reaches 180 degrees. Towards the end, I usually sprinkle cheese on top, sometime I brush ketchup on first.

                                  As it cools, I drain off the excess grease.

                                  This makes about 9 1" slices weighing around 5.5 ounces each. I usually log it as 10 carbs and 300 calories.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 8,098 total)