Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

BakerAunt

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,926 through 5,940 (of 8,762 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19639
    BakerAunt
    Participant

      I’m back in the kitchen on Monday. I started by making Maple Granola. The recipe is in the KAF whole grain baking cookbook, but I use the online update which reduces the oil by ¼ cup and adds ½ cup milk powder. (I use Bob’s Red Mill.) My changes are cutting the coconut from 1 cup to ½ cup and adding ¾ cup pumpkin seeds. The recipe makes a lot, but my husband munches through it almost as fast as he does the healthier cheese crackers I bake.

      I also baked Lens’ Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat Buns recipe. I substitute in ¾ cup buttermilk for that much water. I had 2 Tbs. pumpkin left over from the pumpkin I processed last week, so I added that. I used the Zo bread machine but quickly realized that I had left out the bread flour. I reset the machine and added the flour, and as I was congratulating myself, I realized that I’d used Gold Medal AP flour rather than bread flour. Sigh. I made 10 buns. They rose well and baked well, so my error did not ruin them.

      • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019? #19638
      BakerAunt
      Participant

        On Monday, I made the remains of the Thanksgiving turkey into broth. Although I often do broth on the wood stove, my husband was not going to make a fire until evening, so I did it on the stove top.

        I also peeled and cut up some sweet potatoes, tossed in a bit of olive oil and roasted at 400F for 30 minutes. Then I drizzled them with some maple syrup and roasted another ten minutes. The sweet potatoes are from the farmers’ market, and because they are fresh, they are very tender. My husband cooked some pork, and we also had microwaved broccoli.

        in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 2, 2019 #19630
        BakerAunt
        Participant

          I did not know and selected the incorrect answer, but it is good to know the correct answer.

          I wonder if temperature makes a difference?

          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19623
          BakerAunt
          Participant

            No baking here today, but I will be baking tomorrow.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 24, 2019? #19619
            BakerAunt
            Participant

              Aaron--I'm glad that you are supporting the butter industry, now that I no longer can. I used 1 1/2 Tbs. butter in my pumpkin pie, and 1 Tbs. butter in the mashed potatoes. Ah, how the butter devotee has fallen!

              I'm also craving cinnamon rolls now. Maybe I'll make some pumpkin ones next weekend.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019? #19618
              BakerAunt
              Participant

                We happily continue our turkey sandwiches at lunch and will happily re-run the Thanksgiving dinner one more time on Sunday evening. It's nice to have a low-key day while I pack away the fall décor and begin decking the halls.

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 1, 2019 #19617
                BakerAunt
                Participant

                  I worked out the correct answer.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019? #19603
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

                    Leftover turkey dinner with the mashed potatoes and gravy this time. (Dressing again tomorrow!)

                    in reply to: Over $49 Free Shipping King Arthur Flour #19593
                    BakerAunt
                    Participant

                      Italian Cook--the email does not have a promo code, so it must be that the buyer has to click through that email for the discount.

                      in reply to: Daily Quiz for November 30, 2019 #19587
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

                        I missed it, but I'm glad to know this information.

                        Is Aniseed the same as Star Anise?

                        in reply to: Over $49 Free Shipping King Arthur Flour #19583
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

                          Italian Cook--I went back and checked the email I received from KAF, as well as a second one, and both state free shipping over $49. Maybe you have to be on their email list?

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019? #19581
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

                            We had turkey on the rye-wheat-pumpkin bread for lunch. For dinner, we had leftover turkey, dressing, gravy, and peas and carrots. I had some cranberry apple salad, and my husband had some applesauce. We'll have the mashed potatoes in one of the upcoming re-run meals.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 24, 2019? #19580
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

                              I usually am not in the kitchen the day after Thanksgiving, preferring to munch on delicious leftovers and bask in the holiday afterglow, but the supply of Healthier Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers has been dwindling, and I expect we will run out by late next week. I went ahead and made up the dough for the crackers. It’s best if it can sit, divided into four equal amounts, in the refrigerator for about four days before I roll out, cut, and bake the crackers.

                              in reply to: Daily Quiz for November 29, 2019 #19569
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

                                I know this one.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019? #19562
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

                                  My husband roasted the turkey. I made dressing from Pepperidge Farm Stuffing--two separate dishes, one with onions, which is almost all gone, and one without onion, from which my husband had a spoonful. I also made mashed potatoes and gravy. We cooked frozen peas and carrots for the vegetable. One of my friends brought a delicious apple-cranberry salad. It's not sweet and went well with the dressing. We also had my homemade applesauce from the freezer. We had Ellen's buns baked in the pumpkin muffin pan and the pumpkin rye bread. Of course, there was my pumpkin pie for dessert.

                                  Thanksgiving was our first dinner party since we remodeled the house.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 5,926 through 5,940 (of 8,762 total)