Wed. Oct 7th, 2026

BakerAunt

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,896 through 5,910 (of 8,781 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019? #19902
    BakerAunt
    Participant

      My husband does not care for cauliflower. I like it raw, particularly with a dip. I also like it cooked and pureed into a soup. Otherwise, I don't work with it in the kitchen. I've seen recipes for roasted cauliflower but have not tried it.

      For lunch on Monday, I made a “leftovers” vegetarian chili, with a few non-leftovers. I started by sautéing chopped onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil, then adding two cloves garlic. I added 1 cup of turkey broth leftover from last night, about 1 ½ cups liquid leftover from cooking the lima beans last week, and 1 cup crushed tomatoes leftover from that pizza bean casserole. I added 15 oz. of black beans from the freezer, 1 heaping Tbs. tomato paste, ½ tsp. chili powder and a dash of cayenne and a dash of adobo seasoning. After cooking it for 30 minutes, I added the rest of a bag of Christmas pasta (durum wheat and semolina), brought to a boil, simmered five minutes, then let sit covered for another five minutes. I could go “wild” on this chili, as my husband would not be eating it. (He does not care for black beans, onions are giving him issues these days, and chili powder and cayenne are absolutely forbidden,) He happily ate his canned salmon sandwich, which he eats almost every day. I enjoyed my chili, which is perfect for a cold day in which we awoke to an inch of snow and already have a fire in the wood stove.

      in reply to: Has anyone ordered from Azure Standard #19899
      BakerAunt
      Participant

        I figured out this morning how to find the location of the nearest drop. It's in Nappanee, which would be at least a 90 minute drive. I don't know that there are enough people in my area who would be interested in setting up a drop.

        in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 16, 2019 #19898
        BakerAunt
        Participant

          I've never made sauerkraut, and I selected the wrong answer.

          in reply to: Has anyone ordered from Azure Standard #19890
          BakerAunt
          Participant

            I finally found a map that showed the truck route. There do not appear to be drops close to me, but the truck route is through the town where we do our major shopping (no drop listed), and that highway is the one we pick up from here when we go through Indianapolis. It's an intriguing possibility. If you decide to try it, I'll be interested in what you report.

            • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019? #19887
            BakerAunt
            Participant

              Mike--I bought it from Bob's Red Mill last year, and we liked it so much that when I shopped their sale this year, I bought a case of four. It is added to boiling liquid, then simmers for 20 minutes, is removed from the heat and sits covered for 5 minutes. I did notice that the 16 oz. bag is now a 14 oz. bag. Sigh.

              Yes, BRM has dropped some products. I miss their Ivory Wheat (white whole wheat flour), and I liked their unbleached cake flour, which was more reasonably priced than King Arthur's. They no longer carry wonderful dried cherries or dates. They had a greater variety of rye flours at one time, but now it is just the dark rye and no pumpernickel. I was sorry when I placed this order not to find the split yellow peas, which I use for my Swedish pea soup, which I'll have to make with green ones. They also no longer carry long grain brown rice, only medium. They had a blend of three rice varieties that we very much liked as well that is no longer available.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019? #19882
              BakerAunt
              Participant

                For Sunday dinner, I roasted two chicken thighs (set on a rack so that the fat drips away). I also cooked some cracked freekeh in some turkey broth from the freezer, then mixed in roasted delicata squash cubes and sautéed mushrooms, with a bit of dried sage. We also had microwaved peas.

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 15, 2019 #19875
                BakerAunt
                Participant

                  My husband is studying by watching and reading German news online. We occasionally use some of the words so that the dog does not know what we are talking about. However, she now knows that Kase is cheese, so we've had to switch to Fromage.

                  • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 15, 2019 #19872
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

                    I missed it, in spite of studying that language for five years. Why did my teachers not cover liquor?

                    in reply to: Baking a Healthier Swedish Lucia Bun #19855
                    BakerAunt
                    Participant

                      The first post vanished after I edited a grammar error. When I clicked on submit, the message said that I was not allowed to comment on this post, and it was gone, so I re-posted.

                      in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 14, 2019 #19854
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

                        I had no idea and guessed incorrectly.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 8, 2019? #19847
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

                          Ideally, I would have baked Lucia Buns for breakfast on Friday morning, but it was late afternoon before I could start them. I adapted my recipe to use less butter and some whole grains. I put the details in a separate thread titled "Baking a Healthier Swedish Lucia Bun."

                          in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 13, 2019 #19841
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

                            I missed it.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 8, 2019? #19832
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

                              Aaron--I tried to schedule a pick-up from UPS last year when I had to return a duplicate book to Barnes & Noble (free shipping label for return). I was told that pick-up was not available. Living in a more rural area is not always convenient.

                              I have seen the Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye in grocery stores in this area. For medium rye, I've ordered it from King Arthur, although it is pricy. They have pumpernickel (also pricy) as well. I try to take advantage of specials. I bought the white rye from them for a scone recipe that I will now never bake, and I didn't realize that it is not considered wholegrain. I was wondering how to use it up, so dusting the Silpat mat works.

                              I'll take a look at those rye recipes, Mike. The Asheville Bread Festival sounds like fun.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 8, 2019? #19826
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

                                Skeptic--It's a wet dough. The bread has no added sugar, although I used a pinch to get my active yeast started. There is a bit of sweetness from the pie pumpkin. Part of the trick to shaping the loaf, which I learned here at Nebraska Kitchen from Aaron and Mike's discussions, is to flour the Silpat mat liberally (I use white rye for that) before putting the dough on it to shape. This loaf is about 3 inches tall at its highest point. I think that I shaped the Thanksgiving one a little better, and slashed it a little better, as it had slightly more height and a bit less spread. However, I'm eating a buttered (well, Land' o Lakes light butter-canola spread) and the taste is as wonderful as I remember it from the Thanksgiving bake.

                                This is probably a good bread to get started on with rye, as it is more whole wheat than rye, but the rye flavor is dominant.

                                • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 12, 2019 #19822
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

                                  I guessed correctly, but only because the listed answers did not include e) a weapon used when deciding who will do the dishes. 🙂

                                Viewing 15 posts - 5,896 through 5,910 (of 8,781 total)