Where are Cass (Kid Pizza) and Some Other Members?

Home Forums General Discussions Where are Cass (Kid Pizza) and Some Other Members?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I went to KAF twice in two weeks recently. Their Vermont shop is about 15 minutes from where my kids were going to summer camp.

Everyone was really nice but the baked goods were a little disappointing. Some of it may have been my choices - croissants that were made fresh in the morning may not last the whole day. But it is a nice place with a nice feel to it.

Walmart has a lot of different KAF products but no pastry flour. They do have Bob's Red Mill however and it's a bit less expensive I think - especially if you batch it up and have an order over $50.

I still like the recipe roundups I get from KAF so I'll stay on their email list.

I'll have to check out SFBI in Chicago. I'm always looking for an excuse to head back there and I even have a free room.

BakerAunt
      Participant

KAF dropped me from the e-mail list, even though I ordered twice this summer, and even though I still have their Baker's Advantage. KAF did send an e-mail after closing the Baking Circle asking if I want to renew the Baker's Advantage. That was odd, as it does not expire until October. I'm taking some time to think about it, but I will likely renew, as I can make it work out to my advantage. KAF is the only place where I can find first clear flour and the duram wheat flour, and I like the baking powder, the cheese powder, and the coarse white sugar, the non-melting sugar, and the glazing sugar. I still use the special dried milk, although not as much as I did before my experiments with buttermilk began. If I order enough for Baker's Bucks, then it is a good deal to have 30 pounds of flour delivered, and once we are living in a small town in the Midwest, it will be more convenient and cheaper than Walmart. I will continue shopping at KAF, but it is strictly business now. The warm fuzzies are gone. I've started ordering most flours and grains from Bob's Red Mill, since as Aaron has noted the prices are lower, especially for bulk purchases, and $50 earns free shipping.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

I don't think I've ever gotten any emails from KAF. I used to get reminders of when my Baker's Bucks will expire but haven't gotten any since the demise of the BC. I do know I have a couple of Baker Bucks expiring soon so will have to place an order soon.

As for the classes in Washington - it's over 70 miles away and so far not many classes are offered on the schedule that I could see. But will keep any eye on it and see what shows up.

Italiancook
          Participant

Thanks for asking, BakerAunt. I've been ill. Much better now. I have read and enjoyed all the posts -- kept up with that.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

SFBI is in San Francisco, Chicago has the Chocolate Academy, which is where I'm going next month. They specialize in teaching chocolate and sugar work.

Having grown up in NW Illinois and having lived in the Chicago area from 1967 (to attend Northwestern) and until 1977, returning there is kind of an old-home week for me, there are a number of old favorites I plan to return to, if they're still there, and a few new places I'd like to check out (especially for pizza.) But I'm also hoping to make a visit or two to Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill, which is just a few blocks from my hotel.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Ahhh. I misunderstood. I looked up SFBI and found it in San Francisco. I was looking for classes by them in Chicago. I'll look for Chocolate. Thanks. I grew up in Chicago and much of my family is still there.

Frontera used to be great. But the last time I was there it was a little disappointing. But that was one lunch five or so years ago so it might have been a fluke.

My favorite barbeque is still there but it's down in Hyde Park so a bit out of your way. And Giordano's is still my favorite pizza but that may just be out of nostalgia.

I don't remember the name (I'll get it for you if you're interested) but there is a great bakery up in Evanston run by a member of a team that won the International Pastry Cup. And if you're up that way and are a John Hughes fan and have the time, Molly Ringwald's house from "16 Candles" was for sale so you could call a realtor and go on a showing.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.