Where are Cass (Kid Pizza) and Some Other Members?

Home Forums General Discussions Where are Cass (Kid Pizza) and Some Other Members?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Cass has not posted for a while now, either on this site or Zen's site. I sent him an e-mail yesterday, but I've not yet heard back. Does anyone have additional information?

Some other members who were posting somewhat regularly are also "missing." It may be that they are following us silently, which is fine, but it is nice to hear from them every now and again. I still hope that Rascals might be able to rejoin us. I hope that Italian Cook is just busy with other activities.

About a year ago, we had those spam attacks on the KAF Baking Circle that were relentless. I don't think the BC ever recovered from that onslaught, and that became a factor in its being closed down because traffic dropped. I still miss that one could post there at almost any time of day, and someone would usually be there to answer a question. When my oven malfunctioned mid-evening (central time) and burned up a cake, I was able to post about it, and someone immediately diagnosed the oven issue, while another person assured me that I could freeze the bread dough, that was on its second rise, until I could get the oven repaired. How many of us received help with last minute substitutions, or with revising a recipe? And it's just plain fun to know what people are baking and cooking. Not every baked item or meal needs to be a "showstopper." There's a lot to be said for the pancakes or the plain pan of cornbread. Knowing what others are baking also inspires me to try more recipes. Some of my favorites came out of our discussions. And one of these days, I am going to make pasta from scratch....

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've been making my own pasta for years, but I stick to simple things like spaghetti, linguini, egg noodles and lasagna. I have the KitchenAid basic pasta set, but I don't have an extruder for making things like mostaccioli or elbow macaroni, though I do have a spaetzle cutter.

I've also not tried making 'flavored' pasta, like spinach or chocolate pasta, much less something like squid ink pasta. (Finding squid ink in Nebraska would be something of a challenge, I suspect.)

BakerAunt
        Participant

I heard from Cass, and posted his helpful suggestion for those Norwegian Coffee Buns.

I've got one or two recipes for a pumpkin based pasta. I keep thinking that I'll get to it. I have a pasta attachment for my Cuisinart Food Processor (both given to me by my mother), but I've never gotten around to trying out the pasta attachment. It may be a project for after I retire next summer.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I'm afraid that a lot of people went to the Facebook group, even Mrs Cindy who told me she doesn't use FB ? MaryAnn said that Cindy Leigh is there too.

MaryAnn's daughter got married, I think it was end of August. The pictures are gorgeous! And everyone is very happy. I think all the pups have found new homes.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

I miss the old BC, too. Especially when I have a question about a recipe. Like I really like the KAF Tuscan Coffeecake recipe but want to make them in loaf pans instead of a 9" round pan. I emailed KAF people and their reply was that "they haven't tried it yet" and that it was too much for 1 loaf pan and too small amount for 2 loaf pans. I.E., no help at all. So this weekend, I'm going to try it and see how it turns out.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Just out of curiosity, was the size of loaf mentioned? That could make a big difference, I think

luvpyrpom
                Participant

Cwcdesign, I have only the 9 x 5 loaf pans. When I make the coffee cake in the original pan 9" round pan, it rises quite high so I think I may be able to use 2 of the 9x5 loaf pans. We'll see. A little voice in me is telling me that I may need to increase the recipe to 1.5 times to make it fit into the loaf pans. I'm always willing to experiment or tweaking recipes.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Luvpyrpom--The unhelpful answer you received is typical from the people answering baking questions for KAF these days. It was something that I noticed with KAF about a year ago. There seems to be a culture change there.

Cwcdesign--I'm curious. Is the Facebook group mostly social or mostly about baking?

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I get the impression it's like the old BC - there's both. MaryAnn told me that she had posted about a recipe and Cindy had made it. That's how I knew Cindy was following FB. I do know that it's a private group

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by cwcdesign.
                      Rascals1
                      Participant

Bakeraunt sorry I haven't been on in a while but health and a few other factors have kept me from it. When the lady that tries to help me comes over and brings her computer is the only time I can get on. Will be back on as soon as possible but not sure when that will be. I sure do miss it. Hope everyone is do well, think of you often.

Rascals1
                        Participant

Bakeraunt sorry I haven't been on in a while but health and a few other factors have kept me from it. When the lady that tries to help me comes over and brings her computer is the only time I can get on. Will be back on as soon as possible but not sure when that will be. I sure do miss it. Hope everyone is do well, think of you often. duplicate sorry

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Rascals1.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

Hello, Rascals. It is good to hear from you. Join us when you can and know that you are in our thoughts.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I haven't written in any site for a while. I did do a chocolate buttermilk cake at the beginning of August and two double patches of my absolutely perfect brownies this month. I know the brownies are absolutely perfect and I hit anyone who disagrees. I am still feeling peeved at King Arthur Flour and tired of their advertisements and special offers.

S_Wirth
                              Participant

skeptic7...you can look for an 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of any of KAF's emails. Click that link and follow thru and you'll be rid of them all. I did that when they cut us off and I felt so good doing that.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I don't mind getting the emails from KAF, though I haven't ordered from them since last fall. When I run out of pastry flour, I'll order it from them, the only pastry flour I can find locally is whole wheat pastry flour.

BTW, for those who haven't seen the news, KAF has opened a second location for baking classes in Washington state. Still too far to be a viable option for me.

If I'm going that far for cooking classes, I'll go back to SFBI, since they're only a few miles from where my son lives in San Bruno CA. I am, however, going to Chicago next month for Chocolate Boot Camp at the Chocolate Academy, and I plan to write a series of blog posts about it. SFBI founder Michel Suas suggested I go there instead of to the once-a-year chocolate class at SFBI.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.