What Did You Cook the Week of December 18, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What Did You Cook the Week of December 18, 2016?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The early part of the week was leftovers. On Friday, once we got settled after three days of traveling, I cooked my mother's hamburger stroganoff and served it over brown rice. We had enough leftovers for today.

You may have noticed that I've changed the title of this weekly thread from "Did You Cook Anything Interesting...." to "What Did You Cook.... As you have likely noticed, my cooking tends to be rather simple, so for me, that is a more accurate heading. I also hope that it will encourage others to report on their cooking--maybe it will give me some ideas!

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

BakerAunt, I think you made a good decision changing the title of this discussion. I cook, but don't think anything I cook is interesting. Mostly, they're tried and true recipes I've used for decades.

I started this week by making enough beef liver and mashed potatoes to last a few days. I served it with canned green beans. I didn't want to tackle the pre-Christmas traffic to go to the store that sells fresh green beans. I have mixed feeling about eating liver. I enjoy it but worry about eating contaminants processed in that organ.

This year, the Chicago Tribune had an online article that had a recipe for Colonel Sanders (KFC) secret spices. Later in the article there was a disclaimer that they might not actually be the secret ones. Nevertheless, I tried them with Oven Fried Chicken. I had to leave out the black pepper, because I can't eat that kind of pepper. The finished product didn't taste like KFC, but of course, it was oven fried not deep fried. At any rate, I'm not going to try these spices again. It was time-consuming to open, close and measure so many spices.

I ruined Twice Baked Potatoes by adding grated cheddar cheese to them. I don't recall what we ate with them.

Yesterday, I made a Pot Roast and gravy for Christmas dinner. I also made Stuffed Mushrooms. Both recipes came from "Cook Ahead Cookery."

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.