What are you Cooking the Week of September 4, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 4, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're having steaks on the grill, baked potato, sweet corn (probably), and salads with fresh Thousand Island dressing, with Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake for dessert. Oh, and probably some Crenshaw melon.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I made black-eyed peas, which I mixed with brown rice, sauteed celery and red bell pepper, 1 Tbs. dehydrated onion, 1/2 tsp. thyme, black pepper, fresh parsley, and a package of chopped ham.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made my husband hamburger steak and fries, I had leftover sloppy Joe on bread and fries..

I used half of the hamburger to make a small pot of chili for later on maybe tomorrow. My husband isn't crazy about chili unless it's cold outside so it might be mine if so I'll freeze it in small containers for the freezer.

That's a nice Birthday supper Mike,enjoy!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

It's been a while since I've made Thousand Island dressing, starting with freshly made mayonnaise, of course.

We've been buying whatever cut of steak was on sale, tonight the cut was ribeye. I think I like NY strip better, but it was pretty good. My wife prefers filet mignon.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Supper tonight will be much simpler, we've got two nice big Amish Paste tomatoes and will make some tuna salad to go in them.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I cooked burgers and Italian sausage on the grill yesterday. I have enough for the next couple of days.

BakerAunt
                Participant

There was only enough bread for my husband's lunch today, so I rummaged in the refrigerator for a throw-together lunch. I started with olive oil in a small sauté pan to which I added garlic. After a minute, I added a large cut-up tomato from the garden that needed to be used, and then some onion. After cooking for a bit, I added a 1/2 teaspoon of Penzey's Tuscan Sunset, about a half cup of leftover potato water, then the leftover freekeh from a couple of nights ago. I added some kale and let it wilt before adding a small can of chicken. After a little pepper, I put it in a bowl and grated Parmesan over it.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had BBQ chicken with BBQ gravy to go over rice and we had garden pea salad to go with it.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner was pork shishkebobs with peppers, onions, and cherry tomatoes, plus brown rice, and summer squash sauteed in butter with lots of fresh herbs from the deck. Everything tasted better because it was picked and/or cooked in the rain!

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed pork, leftover rice and garden peas and carrots and fresh candied sweet potatoes.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm making a big pan of eggplant/zucchini lasagna, not sure if that'll be all we have for supper but it'll be a major part of it.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was the Crispy Oven Baked Fish and Chips. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli from the farmers' market.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

The eggplant/zucchini lasagna was great, I had two servings of it, my wife had a small serving to go with her eggs, but also dished out some to take for lunch tomorrow. I portioned what was left into 5 containers and put them in the fridge. Eggplant isn't supposed to freezer very well, but I may wind up freezing one or two of them anyway, though I'm planning on having it for lunch the next few days. I've frozen ratatouille in the past and it seemed to be OK when it was defrosted.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I'm not sure in what cookbook or recipe I first saw tomatoes, onions and sweet peppers referred to as piperade, it's somewhat of a simplification of a Basque dish:
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piperade

It was probably in a recipe for ratatouille, because that's about the only thing I make it for.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I had pizza and a large salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.