What are You Cooking the Week of September 15, 2019

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 15, 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've started cooking more "second" apples for applesauce, and I'm about to start a soup. What's on the menu at your house this Sunday evening?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had left over ham,greens,macaroni and cheese and potato salad.Cleaning out the fridge to take with me what I know my husband won't eat while I'm gone.And on the lighter side we celebrated our 48th anniversary today,wow how time flies.Keep them pots and pans rattling I'll check in at the end of the week.

chocomouse
        Participant

Nothing going on in my kitchen for a while! I had eye surgery (cataract) two weeks ago and then had a reaction to one of the post-op meds. Finally, tonight I can see enough to use the computer, although It's still very painful. And I'm going out of town, I hope, on Thursday, So all my cooking and baking plans have been put on the back burner -- with the burners turned off!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

This Tuesday will be our 47th anniversary, Joan.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Chocomouse I hope the eye gets better when your eyes aren't right that's scary,wishing you well!

Mike Happy Anniversary in advance as I'll be out of touch,wishing ya'll many more!Time flies don't it!

Italiancook
              Participant

I hope the pain goes away soon, chocomouse, and I'm really glad you can see well enough to turn off the back burner. At least you haven't lost your sense of humor.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Happy Anniversary wishes to Joan and her husband!

Happy Anniversary wishes to Mike and his wife!

Chocomouse--it is irritating when you get through the surgery, and then the medication causes the reaction. I hope that you will soon see your way around the kitchen again. 🙂

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Sunday, I made applesauce, using more “seconds” apples from the farmers’ market. I also made a Lentil soup, which was a change of plans. My husband picked up his son in Detroit, so I knew that they would not be home until after 8 p.m., and a lighter meal was in order, especially since we have blueberry pie for dessert!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For dinner on Monday, I made sauce using my already cooked garden tomatoes, ground turkey, onion, garlic, celery, red bell pepper; parsley, a tablespoon of tomato paste, a bit of Penzey’s concentrated beef base, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tsp. Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset. I mixed it with a box of Barilla pasta—the kind that touts itself as high protein because it uses some bean and whole grain flour in addition to the semolina (it was on sale), and we grated Parmesan over it.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I made a double batch of Carrot Soup this morning. Except for tonight's supper, it's going into the freezer.

Italiancook
                        Participant

My husband bought a pound of Brussels sprouts so I can make the recipe linked below. It calls for mixing an egg yolk with cream at the end. I assume that's to thicken the soup. I don't want an egg yolk in it for medical reasons. Anyone have an idea what I can substitute for the yolk?

skeptic7
                          Participant

I don't think it really needs the egg yolk. Try just leaving it out. The potato would thicken the soup slightly.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Thanks, skeptic7, I'll omit the egg yolk. I hope to make this soup this weekend. Will report back about it.

Italiancook
                              Participant

Three posts up is the link to the recipe I'm writing about now -- Brussels Sprouts Soup. I made a single batch this morning & will make a double batch for freezer soon. I goofed. I opened a new container of what I thought was curry powder. As I had the bottle in one hand and the full measuring spoon in the other, I realized I was holding cumin, not curry. I jerked my hand, dropping about 1/16 teaspoon cumin into the soup. Recipe calls for 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry, and I'm not a big fan, so I only used 1/4 tsp.

I used half a potato and after blending with an immersion blender, decided that for my texture buds, it does not need the potato to thicken it. I used only 1/8 cup half 'n half, and am pleased with the thickness.

The big difference between the recipe & my experience is how long it took to cook the brussels sprouts. I had moderate-sized sprouts and cut them in half. It took 30 minutes with lid on for them to simmer to tender. From staring prep to finish, it took me 1 hour 30 minute, and I'm happy with that. I think, but am not certain, that most recipe writers start timing after all ingredients are prepped.

Oh, another big difference is recipe calls for 3 quarts broth. I freeze my broth in quart containers, so I used 4 cups of broth and am glad I did. Also, I did not use the egg yolk and am still happy with what I made.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
                                Italiancook
                                Participant

Ooops, I was impatient and ended up with 2 identical posts. This is the delete.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.