What are You Cooking the Week of September 10, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 10, 2017?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had hot dogs with chili,cheese and onions on top.

Italiancook
      Participant

I have country-style pork ribs in the oven, and barbeque sauce gently simmering on the stovetop for the ribs.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Today I'm making beef stock, starting out by roasting several pounds of shank bones that I got from a vendor at the farmer's market, plus assorted scraps and left over pieces from beef cuts that I've bought and cut up over the past several months. I buy relatively large cuts, usually in the 1.5-3 pound range, and try to get 2 or 3 meals plus scraps for stock out of them.

I roasted the meat for an hour, then threw chopped onions, celery and carrots on top for another 2 hours, I like the flavor that roasting the aromatics adds to the stock.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Happy Anniversary Mike and Mrs Mike! That is a wonderful milestone.

We returned last night, full power and water was restored Friday night and Internet yesterday. They had allowed people to return on Thursday but told everyone not to shower, flush unless necessary, do wash or run dishwashers and use the sink as little as possible - half the sewer lifts were still down county wide. So there were idiots who decided to open car washes (mine posted a notice they would be closed until everything was operational) and power wash their houses!! Needless to say the system started backing up and they had to shut the water off.

It's amazing how much clean up has been done. We arrived at dusk and the piles of debris reminded of the snowbanks left by the plows after a huge snowstorm. Fortunately we had no flooding but the is a giant tree branch that misse my sliding door by an inch and cattycornered my grill without touching it. We have seen some mega trees down and the lagoons are full and some over flowing. We were lucky that Matthew took out so many trees last year or the tree damage would have been much worse. Despite the hard work that was done by my little community to take down iffy trees this year (the arborist had come the week before Matthew to start tagging trees) - it was over a hundred - 3 trees still came down across one of the roadways.

I think the breadth of the storm really hit home when we were driving down 95 and between Ridgeland and Hardeeville, there were flooded fields stretching back I don't know how for on the west side of the highway - the median was pretty full too.

All in all, very glad to be home and in excellent condition. The resort is tentatively scheduled to reopen on Wednesday- it will be nice to get back to work.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by cwcdesign.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

Cwcdesign glad you're home and found everything as well as you did.Blessed!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              S_Wirth
              Participant

Happy 45th anniversary to Mike Nolan and wife today!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.